Gaea Labs toolset error

12090   32   5
25 posts
Yeah the height scales are a bit tricky to maintain. I think it also depends on the settings on your input and output nodes in Gaea, but in my case I now need to divide with the height-scale ratio defined in "Terrain Definition". YMMV

Attachments:
gaea_ratio.png (14.0 KB)

255 posts
In my case, when i use RAW output, i don't have this difference anymore
Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas [fr.linkedin.com]
255 posts
Now only using a zero border node in Gaea, "corrupted" the height relation ... Have you noticed other nodes like this i should kind put a special note to my team so my tiles will not match anymore their neighbour friends?
Edited by vinyvince - Nov. 14, 2022 14:50:02
75 posts
vinyvince
In my case, when i use RAW output, i don't have this difference anymore

Where did you set it to be RAW to fix the height difference?

I'm admittedly a Gaea newb here, but I set it in the Terrain In, all the outputs and in the Build Range dropdown.

I'm using the default labs Houdini-Erosion Preset btw.

Edit: I fixed it, for some reason it was still loading the old heightfields back into houdini, I remade the labs node and it's matching now.
Edited by smbell - Nov. 15, 2022 18:09:28
255 posts
It's in "build", right screen menu of Gaea --> options --> range

More hidden is the terrain definition , same page of the menu, but really at the botton, quite confusing to find...

For now, on my side, im trying to find a stable correct tile workflow between the two.. Im not sure at this moment, using the tile feature of Gaea is a good bet or not.. :S
Gaea is a great program but not as mature as other, so how much i should bet on it, this is my question now
Edited by vinyvince - Nov. 16, 2022 13:20:07
75 posts
Eetu_Mainframe
Yeah the height scales are a bit tricky to maintain. I think it also depends on the settings on your input and output nodes in Gaea, but in my case I now need to divide with the height-scale ratio defined in "Terrain Definition". YMMV

I can't seem to find that Terrain Definition section in Gaea? Where is it located?
75 posts
smbell
Eetu_Mainframe

I can't seem to find that Terrain Definition section in Gaea? Where is it located?

I found it. In case anyone else is as blind as me... It's all the way at the bottom of the Build Panel collapsed.
75 posts
Has anyone been able to successfully output color information with the new labs node (19.5.416, from the github)?

As soon as I add in a color output to a working .tor file it just refuses to do anything, height or color. Just nothing. If I disable the color outputs exposed "colorOut" and rebuild, the height works fine.

If I enable the custom outputs, then I get a different error "TexturePathColor is not defined"

I don't really need it to show the color in the viewport, I just need it to output the files.

Attachments:
Screenshot_11.jpg (59.2 KB)
Screenshot_10.jpg (62.0 KB)

25 posts
Ugly workaround, but what if you split your color channels to three grayscale outputs with an RGBSplit node in Gaea, and then join them back into color in Houdini? :P
75 posts
Eetu_Mainframe
Ugly workaround, but what if you split your color channels to three grayscale outputs with an RGBSplit node in Gaea, and then join them back into color in Houdini? :P

I somehow managed to get it to work, not sure what I did differently than the last 15 times I tried, but it's working. It still won't do the height and color at the same time directly into the nodes volume primitives (either or works fine), but it is outputing both height and color maps with the Custom checkbox enabled and that's all I need.

My newest issue is that the Height data node in Gaea outputs only black.
Edited by smbell - Nov. 22, 2022 19:58:18
255 posts
I have found another issue in the Sidefx LABS implementation which resulted in Clipping.
Looks like the problem comes from the *prim intrinsic* bound value being set to some values like -500 + 500, and if you pass that difference between min and max height and send the terrain to Gaea, the terrain is always clipped...

Is there a way to force change the prim intrinsic value of a heightfield?

Thanks

Vincent*
255 posts
I.e The terrain tile, can't have a height superior to its Width/Lenght at the moment with the way the Labs tool is done...
1 posts
vinyvince
I have found another issue in the Sidefx LABS implementation which resulted in Clipping.
Looks like the problem comes from the *prim intrinsic* bound value being set to some values like -500 + 500, and if you pass that difference between min and max height and send the terrain to Gaea, the terrain is always clipped...

Is there a way to force change the prim intrinsic value of a heightfield?

Thanks

Vincent*

I find that height r32 is clipped from Gaea Exported. I was changed terrain definition but not improving 🤔

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-06-21 143500.png (84.5 KB)

• Quick Links