Multiple resolution image processing, how to?

933   5   0
19 posts
Trying to take advantage of the procedural nature of COPs here. I've got two options:

1. Preferred. Take in a set of files with varied resolutions and apply the same compositing operation to them. Output images with the same resolution as the original (or a multiplier). However, I can't figure out if and how to get COPs to work on multiple resolutions.

2. Convert the image into a point cloud, use SOPs for processing. This might be straightforward since VOPs are great at working in context-independent ways. However, I'd be needing a good way to reproduce the behavior of the extrapolate boundaries node, which could need more than a per-pixel operation.
8592 posts
BitreelTD
1. Preferred. Take in a set of files with varied resolutions and apply the same compositing operation to them. Output images with the same resolution as the original (or a multiplier). However, I can't figure out if and how to get COPs to work on multiple resolutions.

you can try using TOPs to batch process images and run them through the same COPnet
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
19 posts
Yes, I'm using that anyway! However, how does one go about setting variable resolutions? Would that just be a tops int attribute to control the resolution for the tops node? Apologies to ask something without trying it. Just trying to save lots of troubleshooting and dev time if someone's already crossed this bridge.
8592 posts
Just keep it set to Natural Resolution, it will use the image resolution for output and ignore Resolution specified at the ROP Composite Output TOP
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
19 posts
Awesome will give it a go thanks!
7802 posts
BitreelTD
Yes, I'm using that anyway! However, how does one go about setting variable resolutions? Would that just be a tops int attribute to control the resolution for the tops node? Apologies to ask something without trying it. Just trying to save lots of troubleshooting and dev time if someone's already crossed this bridge.

I don't have tops, and I'm not reading in source images, but I'm having to deal with a similar problem where the resolution varies with each image. Houdini won't let you 'animate' the resolution of COP nodes. I'm using pre-render scripts on the composite rop to set the resolution at the top of the chain. This way each 'frame' can have a different resolution and I don't have to rely on TOPs which I can't use in my pipeline.
  • Quick Links