Any houdini 19.5 rumors?

34378   103   9
22 posts
Just wondering since it's around that time.
I'm about to build a muscle rig and trying to move away from redshift so I'm excited for the new muscle system to move to beta and more features for karma XPU
248 posts
i have it on a good authority it will arrive this year

one more thing. it has a good chance of having a native exoside quad-remesher type of auto retopo tool
(should i add that i am an analyst to my twitter at this rate? haha jk jk)
https://twitter.com/oossoonngg [twitter.com]
22 posts
osong
i have it on a good authority it will arrive this year

one more thing. it has a good chance of having a native exoside quad-remesher type of auto retopo tool
(should i add that i am an analyst to my twitter at this rate? haha jk jk)

It'll also do your taxes!
138 posts
Maybe it will be H20
54 posts
Game changer in 19.5:
David says about blendshapes support in topotransfer, and a quad-remesher, as the game changer.
I can't wait it.
Edited by ifree - May 19, 2022 23:54:35
427 posts
I guess it's a sooner-or-later, but I really hope Karma XPU and MaterialX get production-ready in H19.5.
43 posts
I heard it cures shingles.
22 posts
ifree
Game changer in 19.5:
David says about blendshapes support in topotransfer, and a quad-remesher, as the game changer.
I can't wait it.
A quad-rememsher would be awesome!
raincole
I guess it's a sooner-or-later, but I really hope Karma XPU and MaterialX get production-ready in H19.5.
That's the main reason I want an update! Besides the character stuff. I'm want to rebuild my material library into MaterialX materials. The last thing after that is hoping Blender starts supporting it as well.
spoogicus
I heard it cures shingles.
I got shingles once a year ago, it sucked lol
138 posts
raincole

Probably not,maybe two years later.
Edited by wanglifu - May 22, 2022 00:27:51
636 posts
wanglifu
raincole

Probably not,maybe two years later.
Wasn't there a roadmap in the H19 presentation?
Mid 2022 for XPU beta
End 2022 / beginning 2023 XPU production state.

Edit here the ressource:
https://youtu.be/hTfmtiz9qSI [youtu.be]
At 27:40
Edited by mandrake0 - May 22, 2022 04:21:40
38 posts
end of July - beginning of August, mostly it happens after changelog goes above 700.
900 posts
I'm very curious about the new quad-remesher, since Instant Mesh SOP is not 100% reliable for automated workflows.
14 posts
Hoping for character animation tools!
30 posts
It would be good if they changed the whole approach to houdini the u.i & u.x and make it fit solaris and karma in an elegant way and declutter the whole thing.

they need to make Houdini fun to use, and just adding more tools while keeping the program looking and feeling like 1990
won't do.

just my two cent

I know some old die hard fans won't like this idea but I am talking about younger generations of artist that want to have speed on their side.
330 posts
tsiwt
It would be good if they changed the whole approach to houdini the u.i & u.x and make it fit solaris and karma in an elegant way and declutter the whole thing.

they need to make Houdini fun to use, and just adding more tools while keeping the program looking and feeling like 1990
won't do.

just my two cent

I know some old die hard fans won't like this idea but I am talking about younger generations of artist that want to have speed on their side.

It helps to be more specific with feedback like this. What is "more fun to use"? Post an example of a comparative UI/workflow, or at least describe it.

When you say "speed", what aspects of the Houdini UI/UX slows you down? How can it be improved? What app does it better?

When you say "looking and feeling like 1990", here's an image of the UI from 1990:

I'm sure we can agree that it doesn't look or feel like that today, so describing how you'd actually like to see it become more modern would help.
4 posts
I'd like to see the viewport laggyness finally being taken care of. Such as:
Oftentimes even with an isolated object painting can be really laggy for no aparrent reason on a threadripper with more than enough vram and ram. Why would a viewport reset or restarting the program be a solution for this?
There are a lot more viewport snappyness and responsiveness issues than this one but i did not take the time to develop a list with them each time they pop up, yet they do too often.
3 posts
Hi all. I would like to see a 3d tracking system like in blender or even better with advanced composition tools. It's great when everything is in one application.
LOVE SIDE FX
48 posts
All I would like to see is Karma XPU with Shadow Matte capability just like every other renderer out there.
126 posts
@eikonoklastes if you disregard the interface styling the UI work pattern (nodes and parameters) hasn't changed that much.

I agree that SideFX should put more effort into polishing the UI, especially with regards to the view-port and tools used in there. Many tools are rather buggy, or they feel so because there's a lack of consistency in hotkeys and usage patterns. I'm always stumbling into mode-confusion. Compared to Blender or most Adobe software Houdini is a rather poor UI experience.

There's lots of specifics, such as the selection model they have where selection means mode change and hotkey change, or the paint tools that I find barely usable because tuning the brush settings is this fiddly and scattered throughout the interface, or picking a tool when doing polygonal modeling (i'd rather not go through the Tab search list or up to the tool shelf for every extrude)... or the context menus that require to mouse to cross half the screen... or the parameter panes, which could really be made more ergonomic and space efficient (get rid of drop-down menus f.ex.).

There's lot of work to be done in terms of making Houdini more responsive and fluid to use, and a lot of that is just pure UI design. When working full-time everyday in a software UI matters.
330 posts
smuseus
(i'd rather not go through the Tab search list or up to the tool shelf for every extrude
You don't have to do that. Set a shortcut or use the Radial Menus. They're both extremely efficient ways to accomplish this. Below is an unedited video of that in practice.

smuseus
if you disregard the interface styling the UI work pattern (nodes and parameters) hasn't changed that much.
The docs for the interface are probably the best place for discovery, so do go through them to see what exactly is possible in terms of making life easier for you. I have used all the major DCCs over the years (and many minor ones too), and Houdini's UI feature-set overshadows all of them. If you can provide specifics of where exactly it's falling short that would be more helpful.

smuseus
or the parameter panes, which could really be made more ergonomic and space efficient (get rid of drop-down menus f.ex.).
Can you elaborate on this? Drop-down menus save space by condensing multiple items into a smaller space, so your statement seems contradictory.

smuseus
or the paint tools that I find barely usable because tuning the brush settings is this fiddly
Again, specifics. What about it is fiddly? How can it be better? I don't paint much, but when I do, I haven't encountered too much trouble, apart from not having a shortcut for Opacity.

smuseus
There's lot of work to be done in terms of making Houdini more responsive and fluid to use
For me, the biggest change they can make is have better factory defaults, especially shortcuts for modeling tools, but honestly the Radial Menus are good, and mitigate this a fair bit.
  • Quick Links