polyextrude on grid not working as expected

1016   4   1
2 posts
Hello,

I am trying to follow along with some basic tutorials and hopefully learn the software. I was following a table top tutorial and found that polyextrude was not behaving the same as what I was seeing in the tutorial, but didn't seem to be functioning as I thought it should be. Hopefully someone can help me out.

I started with a 1 x 1 grid with 2 rows and 2 columns. The connectivity is quadrilaterals and the primitive type is polygon. I then add the polyextrude below that. As soon as I adjust the distance, the object goes from a rectangle to an extruded half sphere. Why is this happening? Should it not remain as a rectangle?

Attachments:
2022-07-16_21-24-14.png (501.7 KB)

2537 posts
That looks like the result of a subdivide node. Do you have one in your network? If you do, change the algorithm to OpenSubdiv Bilinear.
Edited by Enivob - July 18, 2022 11:56:55
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
7771 posts
Enivob
That looks like the result of a subdivide node. Do you have one in your network? If you do, change the algorithm to OpenSubdiv Bilinear.

I don't think so, it looks like viewport subdivision. You can tell by the wireframe not matching the surface.

Hit the ctrl-minus key combination to disable smoothing on the current object.
2 posts
hi All,

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it. As learning any new software...big frustrations with simple answers.

I ended up just starting from scratch so that all the default settings were reset. That seems to have fixed whatever the issue is. I will have to remember the "ctl-minus" if I see it again. I am sure when I was trying to add a node, I forgot to hit tab first, which I am sure caused me to hit some kind of hotkey for something.

All resolved now. I was trying to cancel this post but It had to go through admin since my first time.

Thanks again for the help.
7771 posts
grantstaley
hi All,

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it. As learning any new software...big frustrations with simple answers.

I ended up just starting from scratch so that all the default settings were reset. That seems to have fixed whatever the issue is. I will have to remember the "ctl-minus" if I see it again. I am sure when I was trying to add a node, I forgot to hit tab first, which I am sure caused me to hit some kind of hotkey for something.

All resolved now. I was trying to cancel this post but It had to go through admin since my first time.

Thanks again for the help.

The draw mode of each object is also in a menu on that object's parameters which helps if you forget the hotkey.
Edited by jsmack - July 18, 2022 12:26:16
  • Quick Links