Spawning KineFX rigs - (my take / technical feedback)

1237   3   1
192 posts
I wanted to POP-spawn some KineFX rigs and this was my take:

Doing a capturepackedgeo every frame worked, but was incredibly slow. Especially on more complex rigs.
The trick for me was doing the capture on a still frame (i.e. make still points for all the ids in the POP simulation),
and then doing everything (applying pscale, position/movement, deletion/death) after the capture has already been done.
It feels a bit convoluted, but hopefully someone can correct enlighten me on that:

I want to hear from you what you think of it. Maybe I am missing something obvious. Is there any better way? (I am not familiar with crowds yet)

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks, ✅
Edited by OdFotan - July 22, 2022 05:43:10

Attachments:
spawn_kineFX.3.hiplc (512.2 KB)

242 posts
Interesting.

Maybe do the capture before you do the copies and then manipulated the capture data. I used the capture attribute unpack but maybe there is a better way to do this all in vex.

Image Not Found
Edited by mawi - July 22, 2022 16:52:51

Attachments:
spawn_kineFX.test.hipnc (611.6 KB)

192 posts
Yes that is also possible. I thought it would be kind of hard because it involves a detail attribute, but indeed you can do that in a foreach loop like you do.

I was also wondering if you could do it in VEX with the packed capture attributes somehow. It seems like a custom type of attribute, I wonder if we could make one ourselves (or modify the strings directly, without the detail attribute).

Anyhow, I will test out your method the coming week.
Edited by OdFotan - July 23, 2022 01:29:17
192 posts
UPDATE:
Mine cumbersome method was faster. Too bad because your method is much more logical and clean node-wise. Thanks a lot for your input.

Hopefully somebody will come with a magical VEX fix or crack of the Bone Capture type attribute.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2022-07-24 at 16.56.22.png (1.6 MB)
Screenshot 2022-07-24 at 16.58.20.png (1.2 MB)

• Quick Links