Does H19.5 Karma XPU run with AMD GPUs?

4068   6   1
7 posts
Hey guys, I am preparing to buy a new PC. Anybody tried karma xpu with AMD GPUs on H19.5 yet? I really don't want to buy any NVIDIA device.
3D Generalist/FX Artist
7759 posts
Karma XPU uses an Nvidia specific raytracing library, so it won't ever work on AMD unless Houdini adds a different raytracing engine that's cross platform.
7 posts
jsmack
Karma XPU uses an Nvidia specific raytracing library, so it won't ever work on AMD unless Houdini adds a different raytracing engine that's cross platform.
So sad to hear about that
3D Generalist/FX Artist
8539 posts
jsmack
this wording sounds quite pessimistic

to me it looks like it's quite plausible for SESI to add raytracing library that works with AMD cards and I'd assume that's also the plan down the road, since currently there is already Embreee and Optix, proving the point that the architecture is scalable
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
17 posts
YuzhouXiao
jsmack
So sad to hear about that

Karma XPU is unfortunately not the only one. Very few GPU renderers work with AMD. redshift, rendermann, octane, arnold works only with cuda, alas...

but that can change, blender, always in advance, allows to use either nvidia or amd for rendering...
Edited by biborax - July 29, 2022 03:16:47
205 posts
Redshift on amd is coming. You can apply to a closed alpha/beta in their forums.
17 posts
it's good, but you must have a radeon pro 6800 at $2500.... :o
nvidia allows to use any card, even a gaming card...
  • Quick Links