About color Picker (ACES)

2243   6   1
100 posts
When I middle click to sample an image outside houdini, colors are not converted to ACES

To have correct color I use the RGB code of the source color then I transform it into ACES with this site https://acescolorspace.com/rgb# [acescolorspace.com] and then I copy/paste the values in he color sop

Is there a fatest way to do that ?

Thanks

Attachments:
Capture d’écran 2022-08-01 204750.png (2.7 MB)

- David
2528 posts
On the color picker, make sure you have color correction enabled. It's the sloping icon on the right.

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg (82.4 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
100 posts
Enivob
On the color picker, make sure you have color correction enabled. It's the sloping icon on the right.
it's checked
Edited by dyts - Aug. 1, 2022 16:06:24

Attachments:
Capture d’écran 2022-08-01 220542.png (1.5 MB)

- David
7737 posts
dyts
Enivob
it's checked

That thing doesn't work at all. It seems like it applies the forward gamma conversion no matter what direction the picker is going in. I end up with a value that's double or triple gamma corrected instead of the inversed linear value. I did, however, figure out how to at least pick colors without any correction so that it can be converted in Houdini using ocio convert nodes. Disable the color correction 'gamma icon' on the color picker, then set the picker space to 'ignore colorspace'. this will allow picking screen colors as-is, but they still need to be converted to linear or acescg.

I usually read the image in COPs and use ocio transform nodes to convert from the input space to ACES, then read the values off the viewer with the inspector mode.
2528 posts
What? You mean there is a useless button inside of Houdini that shouldn't be there?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
7737 posts
Enivob
What? You mean there is a useless button inside of Houdini that shouldn't be there?

The button isn't useless, selecting a pick space is. It does the opposite of what it's supposed to do.
9 posts
I seem to not be getting the results I expect with the Color Picker either in 20.0.547. Anyone ever figured out how to correctly color pick within the expected colorspace for my current OCIO config.

Basically I'd like to color pick so that my picked color is what becomes the output value at Display (+View?) transform space so that I can basically pick a color as it would be at the end of my render and comps.

Which toggle am I missing?

---

Side note: This particular thread's conversation seemed to have continued somewhat here: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/87323/?page=1#post-376988 [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by colorbleed - Feb. 6, 2024 05:34:20
  • Quick Links