incrementing copys parameters over time

3745   4   0
338 posts
This is my first post here so hi to everyone I have little questions that ive been trying to solve. Im relatively new to houdini and im not to sure what i can and cant do expression wise.

Basically im playing with growing objects i.e incrementing values of objects generated in a copy SOP.

So the result would be something like branches growing and spliting, or leafs growing from growing branches. Using $FF if fine if i want to grow objects from frame 1 but what i need is $FF minus the creation frameNumber of the branch, or someway to increment values starting on creation.

I have a slight feeling that i wont be able todo this with just stamping in the copy SOP. Anyhelp would be great.

Cheers
Nick
4140 posts
Welcome Nick!

Might be a little tricky to get exactly what you want using copy/stamp, although you can do an awful lot with it and might be able to get away with it.

However, before going down that road, what you're really describing is classic l-systems - have you looked at the l-systems SOP? I realize it means learning a new language(it's fairly straightforward), but there are some examples there, and it's exactly what you're asking for.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
338 posts
Yeah i kinda thought that it L-systems would be able to do this alot better. It really was more of an exercise to learn from and see what could be done with a copy sop. If i have any decent results i will post it here. It would be good to hear what others suggestions people have about my network.

Thanks for your input JColdrick
Nick
311 posts
Hi Nick

You could also create an offset or using the point/primitive number or a custom attribute with some arbitrary value.

Jerry
338 posts
I managed to figure out a method of doing what i needed. Basically using a particle sop on my intial growing branch allowed me to use the $age variable to grow secondary branches from there creation time. Seemed to be the only way i could see doing this with out resorting to L sytems.

Jerry - Im not sure how todo what your suggesting, any tips on getting the copy time of my branches to increment from?

Cheers guys
Nick
  • Quick Links