bizarre behavior while resampling a curve

1052   3   0
15 posts
I'm getting a bizarre behavior when resampling a curve

as long as the curve is close to the (0,0,0) point, everything works perfectly with resampling (picture1)

But when the curve is far from (0,0,0) (for example, 2000 units away), the problem starts (picture2)

and this problem get's stronger as it moves away from the (0,0,0) point
or increase the resampling amount (either segments or segment length) (picture3)

Moving the curve to somewhere near the (0,0,0) point will solve the issue, but it's not possible for the project I'm working on because it's supposed to create a model based on a curve procedurally.

- It doesn't matter which type of curve or resampling I use, I'm still getting the same result
- the curve in the files are 1, 3 and 77 meters (and I tried this with many other curves)
- I've tried converting the curve and then resampling, but it didn't help
Edited by NodesLoom - Sept. 25, 2022 14:15:01

Attachments:
curve_01.hiplc (214.4 KB)
picture1.png (635.8 KB)
picture2.png (638.1 KB)
picture3.png (666.4 KB)

4515 posts
Hi,

This is floating point precision issue. Your best bet is to move the geo to origin, resample, and then move it back.

This will at least alleviate floating precision issues in Resample SOP. It seems like Resample SOP also doesn't work in 64bit precision.

But once you move your geometry far away from origin, expect it to look garbled again. At least this time the data will be correct, it's just the visualization of it can be wrong.

Because the viewport in Houdini is also not 64bit.

Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
15 posts
thanks a lot animatrix_! it did work for resampling problem!
but when I move the model back to the previous position (away from origin) the points positions have some offset issues and as they move away from origin the issue gets worse!
This floating point precision issue is really annoying!
Edited by NodesLoom - Sept. 26, 2022 18:24:07
8551 posts
Make sure to cast you P to 64bit if you are working far from origin
You can use Attribute Cast for that
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links