Glass Absorption

1798   6   1
42 posts
Hello everyone !

I use a lot blender to render my project, but since i'm using houdini more and more, i try the "solaris" workflow

Really nice for lookdev, but I have a problem. I make a lot of product with glass (bottle, perfum etc) render, and i can't find a solution to have a volume absorption in my glass with material x...

Any ideas ?

(by the way, the fact that when i activate the transmission of my material, the object disappears in my viewport is really annoying)
710 posts
Unfortunately it's not a feature of Karma yet. Hopefully we get absorption, dispersion, and volumetric scattering for refractive materials in Houdini 20.

Attachments:
chrome_ESmIBlcSjD.png (512.4 KB)

75 posts
I have tried Transmission + sss which look similar to Transmission scatter to some extent
42 posts
ysysimon
I have tried Transmission + sss which look similar to Transmission scatter to some extent
ysysimon

Interesting ! Do you have an exemple ?
42 posts
Siavash Tehrani
Unfortunately it's not a feature of Karma yet. Hopefully we get absorption, dispersion, and volumetric scattering for refractive materials in Houdini 20.

Yes I Hope so, it’s a really important feature for a render engine…
75 posts
philippepetitpas
ysysimon
ysysimon

Interesting ! Do you have an exemple ?

The result is not good, it can't achieve the normal Transmission scatter effect at all....(At least in karma)

Theoretically, the difference between Transmission scatter and Subsurface Sactter is that the light of Transmission scatter obeys the law of refraction when it first enters the surface. After entering the surface, it performs random hemisphere scattering like the subsurface.

This is just the theory I understand, I'm not sure if it's correct. hopefully sidefx will implement it for us so we don't have to deal with these theories
46 posts
I really hope the developers add this through a new production build as soon as it’s ready.

I too have products with a lot of glass and water involved. It’s super important and I don’t want to wait until H20! :-)
  • Quick Links