textures are missing in 19.5 for 19.0 usd files

1612   4   0
342 posts
so currently im having an issue rendering USD files with TOPs in 19.0, random frames are giving me exit codes and i can't diagnose why they aren't rendering.

i ended up trying to render the same usd files in 19.5 and it's nearly flawless. so i'm hoping to switch over to that.

however there's one major issue i'm having which is that a bunch of textures are disappearing when i open the usd files in 19.5.

so here's an example of one of my usd files in 19.0

you can see it says "@../ASSETS/Home Master 2022.fbm/FG Eight Figurine_EightFigurine_albedo.jpg@" and it shows up correctly in the viewport.

here's 19.5:

you can see it says that and then it makes a little -> arrow that points to the full absolute path (which i checked and is 100% correct).

so i have no idea what is going wrong here or what i'm missing! any help would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.christophers.website
342 posts
im noticing that if i go into the original asset file for the enviornment, and go to the original stuff that the first usd file was exported from, everything is there correctly and textures show up.

any .usd files that were exported with RELATIVE PATHS enabled from Houdini 19.0 do not show textures in 19.5.

HOWEVER, if i export them from 19.5 instead with relative paths OR without relative paths, it reads fine in 19.5.

So i guess the question is, is there some way to just correct these without having to dive into all my old files and update everything re-exported from 19.5?
Staff
4438 posts
Is that a Redshift rendering?
Can you reproduce this bug with Houdini GL and/or Karma?
Can you provide a simple hip file?
342 posts
the viewport here is GL, but this project is in RS. it's happening regardless. I can't easily share unfortunately, the project is kind of a mess, id be happy to show over zoom or give remote access to one of my machines. in the meantime the solution for me sems to be like just re-exporting everything in 19.5 as i need to. very confused here. i could provide a usd but it would be missing a bunch of texture files.
Staff
4438 posts
But the texture path you are showing is in a redshift UsdShade node, which would have no effect on the Houdini GL rendering, which knows nothing about RS shading nodes. The texture paths on UsdPreviewSurface UsdShade nodes would be much more relelvant. But I'm wondering if maybe the auto-translation of RS shaders to UsdPreviewSurface shaders is failing (though that would only explain Houdini GL failing to render with proper materials, not RS). I also notice the "." characters in your path. I wonder if the image loading code could be getting confused and mis-identifying the "extension" of the resolved file? It might be worth comparing the paths of the few textures that _do_ render with the paths of textures that _don't_ render and see if there is an obvious difference between the two? I thinkg Houdini GL (or at least Karma in verbose mode) should spit out error messages if it can't find requested texture maps. Are there any errors if you switch to rendering with Karma (which should, like Houdini GL, use the UsdPreviewSurface shaders)?
  • Quick Links