Houdini HDK and FCollada

3976   2   2
113 posts
Greetings!

I was wondering if anyone has been able to get FCollada working with Houdini HDK? It would seems like an easy thing to integrate but there is a nutty twist.

HDK will only compile using msvc++ .NET 2003! The projects released with FCollada are for VS 2005.

So my next question is, are there any instructions or any msvs 2003 projects available so I can recompile the FCollada binaries? I guess I lack the msvs compiling experience to create sophisticated projects such as these.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, (Maybe I'm just ignorant for trying ops: ), but the msvs 2005 compiled binaries certainly do not work when compiling HDK on msvs 2003.

I need to figure out if I need to abandon FCollada for ColladaRT, which I'd rather not do right now.

Thanks for the help!
166 posts
Well, on the top of my head I think the source of Collada is available, so you could rebuild the Collada with 2003. Though it could be a challenge if you arent experienced with project compiling.
Or maybe wait until H9 and it maybe possible to compile DSO with 2005.
Time to get out of this messy world.
113 posts
Yeap -

The folks at Feeling said it was possible and that I should give it a try.

And yes you are very correct, it will be a challenge for me to reconstruct the FCollada projects due to my lack of experience with the Microsoft development environment.

The good news is that I was able to compile a Collada-Dom program with HDK last night . It was just a simple test function that outputted a Collada cube upon loading.

This may be a good thing however because of the Colloda-Dom's dependency upon the Collada Schema which FCollada is not. We can extend the Schema to meet our needs and implement them much easier then using the more restrictive, albeit less verbose FCollada.

Just a few thoughts.
  • Quick Links