Is KineFX bonecapturebiharmonic obsolete?

1079   2   0
340 posts
Initially I had problems with setting up a rigged hand model using KineFX as the bonecapturebiharmonic did not display capture regions even when the visualization was set to color>capture regions. It turned out that this was just a display issue and I was able to paint weights and rig without problems.

Recently techsupport suggested an alternative setup using the jointcapturebiharmonic node. This avoids having to create a bonecaptureline and tetembed or tetconform node. But I discovered that more importantly, I got better deformations, particularly if I set the jointdeform to dual quaternion. Not only was there less volume loss but I could often omit a deltamush node to correct creasing.

Is the bonecapturebiharmonic method, shown on most SideFX tutorials, an obsolete method? Is there any disadvantage to using jointcapturebiharmonic instead?
8554 posts
Island
Is the bonecapturebiharmonic method, shown on most SideFX tutorials, an obsolete method? Is there any disadvantage to using jointcapturebiharmonic instead?
its not obsolete, it's the same node that jointcapturebiharmonic uses internally
just dive inside to see the setup, it just saves you the need to do the setup manually and potentially avoid some mistakes, but its the same
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
340 posts
Thanks. I'm not sure why there is a difference in display (apart from the advantages with dual quaternion),but here is the display differences. Note, that if I use bonecapturebiharmonic, the display WILL work properly if I set the visualization to single bone instead of multiple bone:
Edited by Island - Jan. 5, 2023 19:29:00

Attachments:
CaptureWeightsIssue.jpg (290.5 KB)
JointCaptureWorks.jpg (261.9 KB)

• Quick Links