New to Houdini (Apprentice) and three questions.

960   2   1
3 posts
Hello all.

My name is Fenna.

First of all, I hope I put this in the right topic?

I'm new to Houdini (Apprentice), I've been taking an Online Course for Houdini for two months now, and I'm on lesson 15 of 195 , but I haven't learned how to use a Knife Tool yet.

I have years of working and experience with Maya, Cinema 4D and Blender.

I have three questions: And am I used to making extra Edges, Vertices, Inner and Outer cuts etc?
How can I do that easily in Houdini? My other question is: How to use Inner Extrude's, Outer Extrude's?
And how can I easily do Projected from View?
(name within Blender, to be able to project UV Textures, such as UV Smart Project, Project from View, Cube Project etc)

Are there Blender users who recognize this and know how you can easily apply this in Houdini?

I want to thank you in advance for your help with thinking along?

I really appreciate it already

Greetings, Fenna!
Edited by fennanimations - Feb. 6, 2023 18:14:39
8623 posts
fennanimations
And am I used to making extra Edges, Vertices, Inner and Outer cuts etc?
How can I do that easily in Houdini?
to do splits you can use various nodes, like you mentioned you can use
Knife SOP for straight cuts across specified prims
Poly Split SOP to create custom cuts between locations on the prims/edges/points (also if you invoke Edge Loop tool from viewport Tab menu it will add Poly Split SOP in Edge Loop mode for convenience)
Poly Draw to do a bunch of nonprocedural topology editing related operations (split mode is related to adding more edges and loops)
you may discover more useful nodes but these are the main ones

fennanimations
How to use Inner Extrude's, Outer Extrude's?
PolyExtrude SOP should have most of the options you need, are you looking for something more specific?

fennanimations
And how can I easily do Projected from View?
UV Texture SOP, set Texture Type to Perspective From Camera
Edited by tamte - Feb. 8, 2023 01:26:43
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
3 posts
Thank you for your comment!😁

Could you perhaps show a visual example of Knife Sop, Poly Split Sop and UV Texture Sop?

tamte
PolyExtrude SOP should have most of the options you need, are you looking for something more specific?
Well, take a crate for example and you want to extrude the cross beams out of it.

And I'm trying to understand what exactly Stage Tab is used for? Is that only for USD and VDB Imports/Exports? Or can you use that just like you use Geometry's in the OBJ Tab? I'm trying to understand the differences.
I do know that Stage is used with the Realtime Path Tracer.(Karma)

Once again thank you very much for your help!πŸ˜ƒ

PS.
I have added an example of a crate by which I mean the cross beams.πŸ˜‰

Attachments:
POD-Crates-Types-Pallets-727x463.jpg (96.9Β KB)

• Quick Links