H19.5: Copy Stamp and Partition?

4266   3   1
74 posts
In Houdini 19.5 I can't find Copy Stamp and Partition SOPs. I certainly hope they haven't been deprecated? Copy Stamp has been been very useful for procedural creation based on complex rules (Copy to Points is not sufficient for this). Partition (if I recall its name right) is a SOP that quickly generates multiple groups based on some rule.
8554 posts
they have been deprecated, for their underlying architecture limitations and dependency on per element local variable evaluation that's not compatible with compiling and modern architecture of SOP nodes or something like that

Copy Stamp SOP has been replaced with Copy To Points within (potentially compiled) Foreach Loop
unless it's just a simple transform and/or piece override, which it can handle outside of the loop

and Partition Has been replaced with Groups From Name SOP, example here [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by tamte - Feb. 8, 2023 21:55:27
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
74 posts
Thanks for the Groups from Name example. Group from Name sounds a bit clunky, in that you have to create string attribs just so that you can create groups from them. Copy Stamp is a bigger deal, it allowed me to create complex models in a very compact, non-loop way. The variant/piece in Copy to Points seems very limited, compared to how "stamp" could pass dozens of variables up the chain. I'll see if I can deal with this... Anyway, thanks.
Edited by element33 - Feb. 8, 2023 22:06:56
331 posts
element33
Thanks for the Groups from Name example. Group from Name sounds a bit clunky, in that you have to create string attribs just so that you can create groups from them. Copy Stamp is a bigger deal, it allowed me to create complex models in a very compact, non-loop way. The variant/piece in Copy to Points seems very limited, compared to how "stamp" could pass dozens of variables up the chain. I'll see if I can deal with this... Anyway, thanks.
Copy to Points does everything that Copy Stamp did. If you need to vary incoming parameters on source geo, use a For Loop. The documentation covers how to implement this.

You can wrap this Loop in a Compile Block, which will significantly increase its performance.
  • Quick Links