keyframing lens shader values?

1464   2   0
342 posts
Hello, is it possible to keyframe the lens shader, and if so how? Seems like it should be. I want to animate the "amount of curvature" if possible.

I can see theres a primvar in the camera prim in solaris which is blue (so not animated) for the "karma:camera:lensshader"

usually I just make a matnet and put the lens shader in there. Was thinking way at least when i make changes it doesnt re-trigger my whole lop node graph. I guess I could put it into a matnet in the graph and set it to allow shader parameter animation, and then i do see the values in usd in the physicallens1 shader, with green values for the curvature, but im not sure this matters at all.

Anyway was just digging around trying to figure this out, if there is an answer would love to know. And if there isn't would love this to be added as a feature!
http://www.christophers.website
7794 posts
ChristopherRutledge
Hello, is it possible to keyframe the lens shader, and if so how? Seems like it should be. I want to animate the "amount of curvature" if possible.

I can see theres a primvar in the camera prim in solaris which is blue (so not animated) for the "karma:camera:lensshader"

usually I just make a matnet and put the lens shader in there. Was thinking way at least when i make changes it doesnt re-trigger my whole lop node graph. I guess I could put it into a matnet in the graph and set it to allow shader parameter animation, and then i do see the values in usd in the physicallens1 shader, with green values for the curvature, but im not sure this matters at all.

Anyway was just digging around trying to figure this out, if there is an answer would love to know. And if there isn't would love this to be added as a feature!

Lens shaders would probably need to live on the Stage as proper usd entities for that to be possible. It might work anyway when rendering frame by frame rather than frames at once.
861 posts
Some time ago I submitted that as a bug. The reply was:

"At the current time, USD doesn't support the concept of shaders for cameras. To hook up lens shaders, we cannot use the standard USD mechanism for defining materials. This means there are certain limitations - one being that the entire shader (including all inputs) must be encapsulated as a single material.

We're planning on improving this behaviour slightly for future versions of Houdini, but the shaders will still have to be saved as an self-contained HDA to be supported in offline rendering."
--
Jobless
  • Quick Links