Solaris Rendertime Geometry

1193   4   2
143 posts
Hi,

I'm struggling a bit with a larger scene, where I'm using the Instancer to scatter grass. It just takes a lot of time to update in the viewport and most of my viewport polygon display cap. I tried assigning a Render Purpose to the instancer prim, but even though the Render flag is turned off in the Viewport, and the instancer is neither a Guide nor a Proxy, it still gets drawn in OGL.

Is there a way to have my instancer turned off in viewport (maybe just turn it on for the occasional editing - but still be an editable part of the scene) and just show up in the rendering?

Thanks.
Cheers,
Ivan
355 posts
Maybe use a switch LOP and maybe a prune to deactivate the instance in one branch and have it active in another and switch accordingly for render vs viewport interactions. Not sure if that will work for you but I have a scene where I brought in some animation and murdered interaction with the timeline, so I used a switch to go between static and animated so that I could easily scrub to see my camera animation and other stuff. If you find a nice solution, please share.
hou.f*ckatdskmaya().forever()
94 posts
ivanmalek
Hi,
I'm struggling a bit with a larger scene, where I'm using the Instancer to scatter grass.
Try to use point instances instead of native instances.
143 posts
traileverse
Maybe use a switch LOP and maybe a prune to deactivate the instance in one branch and have it active in another and switch accordingly for render vs viewport interactions. Not sure if that will work for you but I have a scene where I brought in some animation and murdered interaction with the timeline, so I used a switch to go between static and animated so that I could easily scrub to see my camera animation and other stuff. If you find a nice solution, please share.

Thanks, that might be worth a try, although there definitely must be an easier and more automated way.. I'll keep looking.
143 posts
Faitel
ivanmalek
Hi,
I'm struggling a bit with a larger scene, where I'm using the Instancer to scatter grass.
Try to use point instances instead of native instances.

Thanks, I already am using point instances, but there's around 100 million source points in a scene containing other geometry, so it's quite heavy either way.
  • Quick Links