Houdini terminal output on Windows

6733   6   2
4 posts
I've mostly used Houdini on Linux, but I'm now using it on windows and I'm trying to set it up so that the terminal output goes back to a shell.

I can launch Houdini from PowerShell or command prompt, but the terminal output still goes to the floating window instead of back to PowerShell. I tried playing around with some environment variables (HOUDINI_DISABLE_CONSOLE, HOUDINI_TEXT_CONSOLE, and HOUDINI_WINDOW_CONSOLE) but no matter what I set them to, I can't get the text to go back to the shell.

Anyone else tried this and have any insights?
James Littlejohn

www.jameslittlejohn.com
333 posts
you might want to get cygwin so you get a real terminal.

www.cygwin.com
20 posts
I would be interested to know the same. Since Houdini default console window disappear sometimes. The suggestion about cygwin doesn't make sense since Houdini binary seams like doesn't write to stdout. I looked at the houdini.exe flags but I don't see anything related to console output.
380 posts
Anything come of this?

I have a .bat file I run from the houdini CLT or cmd terminal to config and fire up Houdini.
I was also a bit surprised to discover this in a move from linux to windows.
I just assumed I'd be able to see some output in the shell I launched Houdini from akin to linux.

For me, Python2.7 sys.stdout is captured all at once and output only to the Python Shell Pane when a process completes. This is certainly not as nice as linux, where you can see stdout/err stream to the shell wherever your print statements or logging is firing from. I can only seem to get the Houdini Console to capture vex/dso printf.

I also gave cygwin a quick try by sourcing houdini_setup from the installation directory and running the following simple progbar test. When running with a python interpreter in the winblows cmd terminal, it overwrites the same line as expected.

import sys
import time
import logging

log = logging.getLogger()
log.info("HELLO?")
print("WORLD")

iters = 500
# sys.stdout carriage return, no newline, overwrites the line
for k in range(iters+1):
    pct = float(k)/iters
    msg = "\r running {:.2%} {}/{}".format(pct, k, iters)
    sys.stdout.write(msg)
    sys.stdout.flush()
    time.sleep(0.001)

Run from a shelf, this does bring up a Houdini Console Window for me, but it doesn't stdout to the cygwin terminal.
Each line is flushed and echoed to the Houdini Console separately, which is a bit better than a process dump, but incomparable to working on linux in the first place. The Houdini Console looked to max out at something like 250 lines for me, I cant seem to get a logger to output anything, and print statements are not output to the Houdini Console - those are output to the Python Shell Pane along with all the sys.stdout when the process completes as before.

I'm going to try and attach a VSCode debugger and see if that better facilitates a code trace.
Edited by sdugaro - March 23, 2021 23:48:53
78 posts
Sorry to poke such an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone figured out how to get this working? We are using a .bat file as well and it really sucks having to have multiple consoles open when launching Houdini in Windows.
4 posts
No idea myself, I think I gave up on this not too long after I posted about it.
James Littlejohn

www.jameslittlejohn.com
789 posts
Not sure if this helps, but I am running houdini through a wrapper ( a little Qt ui to select versions etc) and capturing std out and std err works great there:

self.process = QtCore.QProcess()
self.process.readyReadStandardOutput.connect(self.HandleStdOut)
self.process.readyReadStandardError.connect(self.HandleStdError)
  • Quick Links