Houdini19.5 file cache issue

794   2   0
13 posts
Houdini19.5 file cache node, when opened, you can see that there is a limit of one quarter CPU usage set in the PDG. Does this option work? If it does, is it unreasonable? Did I use Houdini19.5 file caching to cache node output cache, causing a large amount of CPU idle?
Edited by CGxiao - April 23, 2023 09:05:12

Attachments:
1.png (149.1 KB)

75 posts
Yes it works.

Is it unreasonable? Well, that depends on how many cores you have, and what kind of nodes you are caching. If you're caching something like a remesh that is single threaded, then it's probably wasting a bit of CPU, but if you're doing something like the VDB operations that use all the cores, then it's actually probably too many cores at once and you are losing performance by overloading the CPU.

That's why there's the option to make your own scheduler and set it to what's appropriate for the operations you are caching.

1/4 is a decent middle ground for most stuff and CPUs from my experience.
13 posts
气味
Yes it works.

Is it unreasonable? Well, that depends on how many cores you have, and what kind of nodes you are caching. If you're caching something like a remesh that is single threaded, then it's probably wasting a bit of CPU, but if you're doing something like the VDB operations that use all the cores, then it's actually probably too many cores at once and you are losing performance by overloading the CPU.

That's why there's the option to make your own scheduler and set it to what's appropriate for the operations you are caching.

1/4 is a decent middle ground for most stuff and CPUs from my experience.
Thank you for the answer. When I cache, in most cases, there is no need to modify it. thank you.
  • Quick Links