Align Transform LOP's pivot to existing primitive

721   3   1
466 posts
I'd like to drive transformations of an existing camera primitive (which has non-zero transforms) with a Transform LOP (ultimately driven by CHOPs). I tried to snap Transform LOP's pivot to existing camera using Align Handle, but all I'm getting are segfaults. Every single time.

Any advice on how to align transform's pivot to camera, other than using ye olde eyeballing technique?
72 posts
You could try turning off 'Apply Transform in World Space' on the transform LOP. It's not what you asked for but it will maybe work for your intended purpose?
Edited by protean - June 27, 2023 18:02:05
john @ hydrastudios
466 posts
Thanks!
I ended up referencing camera's "Translate" and "Rotate" parameters from Transform's "Pivot Translate/Rotate" which effectively matched Transform's pivot to camera's.

But, I just tested what you suggested, and it works very well. Even though the pivot doesn't visually snap to camera's, I can affect the target camera in the exact same way as if I were to use references. And that's more than enough for CHOPs, so thanks again!
72 posts
NP!

I forgot to add the useful info about how transforms are local but the default in the Transform LOP is to force it to world https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/lop/xform.html [www.sidefx.com]

Apply Transform in World Space
(Default on) Apply the given transform as if it was in world space. When this is off, the transform is local. Technically, transform operations are always local, but this can be confusing (For example, a parent prim may have a rotation around Z, which will make a local move along X axis actually move the primitive along world Y). So this option exists to let you specify the transform more intuitively in world space, and have the node create a local transform that achieves the same effect.
john @ hydrastudios
  • Quick Links