Per-instance displayColor with PointInstancer

922   3   2
92 posts
Hi all! I'm investigating some ideas to manipulate PointInstancers with AttributeWrangle and I would love some UI feedback in the 3DV.

Is there a way to set v@primvars:displayColor such that it varies per instance? Refer to this trivial example where each instance is assigned a i@primvars:region, then I try to set different displayColor to each region.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it to work--I've tried running over elements (or not), using v@primvars:displayColor (versus usd_setprimvar), etc. Note in the SceneGraphDetails tab I have an array of different displayColor values, the 3DV only seems to respect the first one.

I could dice up my PI with SplitPointInstacers and give each PI its own displayColor, but I would prefer to 1) not cut up my PointInstancers and 2) have more granular per-instance control.

Thanks!
Edited by jbudsberg - July 12, 2023 17:47:39

Attachments:
tmp.jpg (327.5 KB)
tmp2.jpg (321.8 KB)
pi_displayColor.hip (139.0 KB)

Staff
4168 posts
Unfortunately HoudiniGL does not currently support this, which we realize isn't great. We are aware and hope to have a fix in a future release, but we don't have a timeline.

Please log an RFE though, to help boost visibility/importance (though this is a long-requested issue). Thanks!
I'm o.d.d.
92 posts
hey Chris, great to hear from you! Hope all is well. Thanks for the info, I'll file an RFE as this would be incredibly helpful for visualization.
Staff
451 posts
I also noticed in your scene you have:
usd_addprimvar(0, @primpath, 'displayColor', "color3f", "constant");
I suspect you probably want this to be:
usd_addprimvar(0, @primpath, 'displayColor', "color3f", "vertex");
  • Quick Links