Flipbook to MPlay issue

1335   8   1
5 posts
Can't flipbook/render to MPlay anything in any scene.

"Flipbook generation error: unable to send image to display."

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro M1 / Houdini 19.5.640
85 posts
Do you have a firewall installed/enabled, seems like Houdini can’t communicate with mplay for some reason.
5 posts
Hi, I don't. I thought the same, but I checked every setting in Privacy etc, granted all disk access to Houdini, but it didn't solve the problem.

Already tried clean install, no luck.
56 posts
Are you able to open MPlay as standalone? It is called "Image Viewer 19.*" in the windows start menue or you can find it under "...\Side Effects Software\Houdini 19.5.569\bin\mplay.exe" .
Edited by Xue_Yue - July 20, 2023 07:16:45
85 posts
ivibes
Hi, I don't. I thought the same, but I checked every setting in Privacy etc, granted all disk access to Houdini, but it didn't solve the problem.

Already tried clean install, no luck.

Launch Houdini Terminal 19.5.640.app, type hindie, then repeat flipbook steps, the terminal window should have a more informative error message.

Additional steps, install houdini via launcher, the pkg installers are deprecated way of installing houdini esp. on macos…

Also are you using the AppleSilicon build of houdini, might be something specific to silicon port, try intel build and see if it has the same issue, it might help narrow things down a bit.

EDIT: Is it just the flipbook that’s the issue? Does the render to disk / mplay produce the same issue?
Edited by hMonkey - July 20, 2023 12:47:23
5 posts
Xue_Yue
Are you able to open MPlay as standalone? It is called "Image Viewer 19.*" in the windows start menue or you can find it under "...\Side Effects Software\Houdini 19.5.569\bin\mplay.exe" .
Yes, works perfectly.
5 posts
hMonkey
Launch Houdini Terminal 19.5.640.app, type hindie, then repeat flipbook steps, the terminal window should have a more informative error message.

Additional steps, install houdini via launcher, the pkg installers are deprecated way of installing houdini esp. on macos…

Also are you using the AppleSilicon build of houdini, might be something specific to silicon port, try intel build and see if it has the same issue, it might help narrow things down a bit.

EDIT: Is it just the flipbook that’s the issue? Does the render to disk / mplay produce the same issue?

So I get this message when I use terminal:
UNSUPPORTED (log once): POSSIBLE ISSUE: unit 1 GLD_TEXTURE_INDEX_2D is unloadable and bound to sampler type (Float) - using zero texture because texture unloadable
UNSUPPORTED (log once): POSSIBLE ISSUE: unit 1 GLD_TEXTURE_INDEX_2D is unloadable and bound to sampler type (Float) - using zero texture because texture unloadable

Render to MPlay also doesn't work for me, but render to disk through Redshift works fine.

Installed through Launcher both Silicon and Intel builds behave the same. I'll test it on another MacBook, maybe there is a problem with mine, I don't know.

Thank you so much for your help!
Edited by ivibes - July 21, 2023 14:43:13
85 posts
ivibes
So I get this message when I use terminal:

I’d check with support, it looks like a bug.

Have you tried ogl rop output, does that work?

ivibes
Render to MPlay also doesn't work for me, but render to disk through Redshift works fine.
So it opens up mplay and you can see the rendered frames?
5 posts
hMonkey
So it opens up mplay and you can see the rendered frames?

It doesn't, still same error. I can only render without preview.

I did some research and it appears as a M1 bug. I'll contact support.

Thank you for your help!
  • Quick Links