Wii remote controlling animation in Houdini

4364   4   3
252 posts
Anyone know about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZthjZIroW8&NR=1 [youtube.com]

Basically he is controlling a car in Houdini using the Wii remote. I tried unsuccessfully to use a Joystick controller in Houdini using MIDI and am wondering how the Wii thing was pulled off.

Anyone know?

-Craig
4140 posts
Thank you, you made my night. Hilarious.

Hug a geek today.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
537 posts
I would think that as long as you can sucessfully get real-time MIDI into Houdini it would be a matter of telling the car which midi event did what to the car. MIDI channels can be separated same as anything else in chops, just isolate by channel name or number etc.

I'm not to much up on joystick commands but I'm guessing it was done with MIDI controller data as opposed to notes. I remember that from 5-th grade lego-logo;

Feed it through the tree of events until it controls a part of the car rig (using export chop or chopi)

The part that I would think would not be so straitforeward would be how to make the motion “additive” … as opposed to a straitforeward this joystick position moves it to here .. this one to here etc. So, the first thing that pops into my head would be to make a very long time-line and have the chops control the motion of a particle .. but who knows.

if you get it to work PLEASE post it I want to see it … not sure about hugging the geek thing but maybe if more people would have hugged me in 5th grade their cars would have worked too
1192 posts
Old news, old news
http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=4890&hl=wiimote [forums.odforce.net]
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
1145 posts
I noticed that the cursor is also connected to the wii, but its motion bears no similarity to what the car is doing.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
  • Quick Links