Materials for Google Earth Mesh? Solved for Redshift not Karma

1736   6   2
42 posts
Hello,

I have been playing with Daniel Gallardo's Earth Mesh HDA: https://github.com/xjorma/EarthMeshHoudini [github.com]

It generates a mesh with three prim attributes: "material_name", "material_override", and "shop_materialpath". The material texture renders in the viewport but I do not understand the process of translating this to Karma or other renderer.

There are over 2000 separate materials

Is there a tutorial or relevant documentation that explains this?

See attached screenshots

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you
Edited by polimpiado - Aug. 27, 2023 19:17:37

Attachments:
EARTHMESH.jpg (449.7 KB)

42 posts
Here is a screenshot diving inside the EarthMesh HDA.

He is using a loop and a Labs Quick material to generate the attributes

Attachments:
EARTHMESH INSIDE.jpg (117.7 KB)

42 posts
I managed to solve it for redshift renderer by calling up the "basecolor_texture" attribute as a local string parameter on the Material node then referencing that inside on the RStexture node plugged into the base color...

I had to transfer the 'material_override' attribute back onto the geo after the material node as it overwites that attribute.

Also there is som issue with the UVs but they seem to get corrected if I merge it with a grid with UVs, I dont really understand whats going on. I tried promoting UVs from point to vertex but it didnt help.

I would love to get this working in Karma. I found this tutorial [www.youtube.com] which may be a part of the answer but it does not solve the matching per prim...

If anyone has any better ideas or want more detail into my hacky solution lmk

Attachments:
Screenshot (35).png (4.1 MB)
Screenshot (36).png (2.1 MB)

331 posts
Can you post the geo for this (or a subset of it, if it's large)? Setting up the HDA requires a Google account and a credit card to register.

I've written Python scripts for SOPs and for Solaris that can read texture files from a folder and assign them to geometry automatically, but I haven't done a transition of material overrides from SOPs to Solaris.
Edited by eikonoklastes - Sept. 4, 2023 03:38:26
60 posts
Curious what someone figures out. I'm trying to do this in Solaris/Karma, too.
1 posts
Was anyone able to figure it out using redshift? I cant transfer material overide to the RS Texture
17 posts
帕纳斯97
Was anyone able to figure it out using redshift? I cant transfer material overide to the RS Texture

Use Rs Material choose overide ?
  • Quick Links