KineFX Piston Rigging

1191   3   3
42 posts
Hello,

currently getting into KineFx. I'm trying to rig a piston to work like this using IK.

Didn't find out how to do it yet. Would appreaciate some help. Hip File is provided below

Greetings
Edited by Lucca - Aug. 31, 2023 17:31:26

Attachments:
piston.gif (2.4 MB)
sample_piston_rig.hipnc (485.4 KB)

47 posts
I don't know if you're 100% set that this has to be KineFX, or if you are open to solutions that just get the job done?
Traditional bones and/or linking of objects works very well in this case.

I created a dummy file and attached it. It's basically the same setup with both bones and just parenting and constraints. No IK involved. I'm no professional rigger, but this setup is very fast and simple to use. In my experience, this approach works very well with mechanical or non-deforming rigs. Animating on the object level is much faster than working inside SOPs.
Edited by Tronotrond - Sept. 1, 2023 15:58:38

Attachments:
P20230901_PistonRig_v01_t01.hiplc (1.2 MB)

42 posts
Tronotrond
I don't know if you're 100% set that this has to be KineFX, or if you are open to solutions that just get the job done?
Traditional bones and/or linking of objects works very well in this case.

I created a dummy file and attached it. It's basically the same setup with both bones and just parenting and constraints. No IK involved. I'm no professional rigger, but this setup is very fast and simple to use. In my experience, this approach works very well with mechanical or non-deforming rigs. Animating on the object level is much faster than working inside SOPs.

Hey thanks for the effort and great setup. However as im doing this to get into kinefx I would also love to see a solution doing it with kinefx.

I currently have a setup with a fbik sop and it works for the rotation part however I did not manage to lock the axis of the top piston to only go in local up direction?

How do I lock an axis for a 'bone'/joint in kinefx?

Edited by Lucca - Sept. 1, 2023 16:15:25

Attachments:
rig.png (1.1 MB)

1743 posts
Here's a kinefx/fbik take. It's... ok? Probably a cleaner way to do this...

Attachments:
sample_piston_rig4_fbik.hipnc (560.0 KB)

http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
  • Quick Links