The free ALab USD scene from Animal Logic

1208   6   2
250 posts
Hello everyone!

Here is the link for the free ALab USD scene from Animal Logic, just in case you never came across it, it is big, but it is a full production scene to test out Houdini, just follow the instructions to decompress, open Houdini, open the Solaris desktop, add a reference node, point it to entry.usda file in the ALab folder, add a Karma node, adjust settings to your liking, then render!

Animal Logic ALab Open Source Scene [animallogic.com]
Edited by GCharb - Dec. 11, 2023 09:31:08

Attachments:
LoopySequence02.gif (4.6 MB)

54 posts
WOW! Cool, thx
If ill import it to Karma XPU i can render it without problems? Or i have to setup materials and shit?
250 posts
oldteapot7
WOW! Cool, thx
If ill import it to Karma XPU i can render it without problems? Or i have to setup materials and shit?
Nope, just decompress in the right folders then add the Karma node, and you're set, but I suggest you don't decompress the 4K texture set (63.4 GB zip) if you want to render with XPU, unless you have a video card with 48 GB of VRAM, as the full scene takes around 64GB to render on CPU, the basic scene has 1K textures!

My specs
AMD 5950x 16 cores CPU
128GB DDR4-3200
RTX 3080 12GB

Here is a 4k render I did with the full scene using Karma CPU, since my video card only has 12GB VRAM...
Edited by GCharb - Dec. 11, 2023 09:20:33

Attachments:
Alab 4K.jpg (1.2 MB)

54 posts
And how long it took to render on 16 core AMD CPU? Btw iam planing to upgrade my old box to 16 core CPU i hope it likes Houdini and vice versa
250 posts
oldteapot7
And how long it took to render on 16 core AMD CPU? Btw iam planing to upgrade my old box to 16 core CPU i hope it likes Houdini and vice versa
Quite some time, but I used a huge amount of samples, 128-256 with de-noiser should be plenty, not to mention much faster to render! 😄
63 posts
Thanks for this link GCharb! I was wondering where to find this asset... No need to wonder any more

Dag
250 posts
oldteapot7
BTW, even on 16 cores, Houdini can be slow, a beast of a software that needs a beast of a workstation! 😉
  • Quick Links