Apex Graphs docs

3578   21   5
605 posts
Just wanted to chime in that, I just watched the H20 Hive today, and read the APEX Docs today as well, and, on first read, APEX “clicked” for me - the order and level of detail of the APEX Docs was very well done.

Now I finally know what all those freakin lines are in the viewport! LOLOL

I’m not scared anymore and I feel comfortable approaching APEX and building my own graphs.

So, Kudos to whoever put that together - I appreciate your efforts, I know it was not easy.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
Staff
61 posts
  1. It looks to me that the workflow is to setup the parameter names and joint's names on the point_transforms(SetPointTransforms type node in the example)manually. If I have, say, 30 joints/controls and I need to setup them and then decide to change the naming, would it be a pain? Is this question even relevant cus we mostly need to use APEX autorig component?
  2. The bone_deformation (sop::bonedeform type)Does it need a more descriptive name for the first 3 inputs instead of the geoinput0?

You would need some way to map your xform to joint and we can not just rely on the name of the transform object because your xform might actually come from other math nodes so going for the name as the parm alias is a very stable way of getting that mapping working. The component scripts are definitely a very helpful starting point when you translate your skeleton over to apex nodes and especially with in creasing complexity of rigs manually editing the graph will become quite cumbersome and a lot less flexible fairly quickly.

The geo bonedeform input names come from the sob verb and i am not sure how much we can do there directly but i very much get your point and I will see what we can do there to make it better readable!
  • Quick Links