"Pack Geometry Before Merging" for Houdini Engine Maya

1679   5   1
13 posts
I came across Houdini Engine for Unity's "Pack Geometry Before Merging" feature. I haven't used it, but it looks useful - "If checked, all the different Unity meshes will be packed individually before being merged into the asset's input."

The problem I'm having is that multiple geometries from Maya will always end up merged down to one geometry. For example, I have one 4-face plane and another 1-face plane. Ideally, I want them to appear in Houdini as 2 PackedGeometry prims, with packedfulltransform and such so I can retrieve their transform data. Instead, they merge to 5 Poly prims and I lose all the per-object transform data.

Even though I can separate prims by name using "For-each Named Primitive", I can't get the respective transform information associated with them.

I can't find any similar settings to "Pack Geometry Before Merging" in Houdini Engine for Maya. But in general, the question is Is there something I can do to get per-object transform data from Maya?

I've attached an HDA that displays point/prim/detail attributes in Maya for debugging.

Attachments:
Maya_Debug_Attribute_Output.png (37.2 KB)
Input_Geo.png (13.0 KB)
sop_sliu.show_attribs.1.0.hda (4.4 KB)

Staff
467 posts
This is now possible in the plugin bundled with 19.0.1153 and 19.5.787

See: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/72894/?page=1#post-404867 [www.sidefx.com]
13 posts
Great. Thanks for the new feature! Is it possible to add this to Houdini 20 too?
Staff
467 posts
It's already present, however it won't be in the initial gold release - the daily build following it will include it.

Will that work for you?
Edited by johnmather - Nov. 3, 2023 14:40:37
13 posts
I'll make sure to get the build that has this update. Thanks!
5 posts
Hi! I've looked for the "Pack Geometry Before Merging" setting in the attribute editor (Maya), but I couldn't find it.

Here are info from the Houdini Engine pref. in Maya.

Houdini version 19.0.561
Houdini Engine version 4.2 (API:11)
Maya 2022

or the above Houdini Engine version doesn't have this feature?
Thank you.
  • Quick Links