Can't see rest of lops while in sopcreate

491   4   3
224 posts
Hello,

If I go in a sopcreate I can no longer see any other lops. I can't use the camera either. Sometimes objects show, but they are bugged and when I hit reset viewport or any operation they go away. I know I can pin the viewer but then the handles tool wont work because I am not viewing in the context where the handle is. This makes it really difficult to place objects or really do anything in sops and that would benefit from seeing the rest of the scene. Any ideas?

Thanks
Edited by evanrudefx - Jan. 12, 2024 01:28:29

Attachments:
solar.gif (2.4 MB)

Thanks,

Evan
331 posts
You'll have to LOP Import your stage into SOPs if you want a reference. Yes, even though you're technically already inside that LOP. It's...clunky.

Another option is to have two scene views, and pin one of them to your LOPs output. That way you'll get a semi-decent preview of your changes in SOPs. Still clunky though.
Edited by eikonoklastes - Jan. 12, 2024 02:06:01
224 posts
Thanks, I was hoping to avoid all that. I hope they make changes in the future that make this easier.
Thanks,

Evan
Staff
4164 posts
Currently, only the stage at that SOP Create, can be displayed while you dive inside. Since that SOP Create has no inputs, technically the viewport is displaying what it can; but it's understandable why it's a bit confusing. If you were to put a SOP Create below the Camera or Merge LOPs, then you'd be able to see the scene. As a caveat, currently Houdini cooks the SOP network but also cooks the SOP Import process as well, which can cause a performance hit.

Having said all of that, being able to efficiently see a USD stage, while in SOPs, is definitely something that we want to improve. We're are working towards those goals as quickly as we can, as it affects all sorts of workflows in Houdini.

Hopefully that helps a bit!
I'm o.d.d.
224 posts
goldleaf
Currently, only the stage at that SOP Create, can be displayed while you dive inside. Since that SOP Create has no inputs, technically the viewport is displaying what it can; but it's understandable why it's a bit confusing. If you were to put a SOP Create below the Camera or Merge LOPs, then you'd be able to see the scene. As a caveat, currently Houdini cooks the SOP network but also cooks the SOP Import process as well, which can cause a performance hit.

Having said all of that, being able to efficiently see a USD stage, while in SOPs, is definitely something that we want to improve. We're are working towards those goals as quickly as we can, as it affects all sorts of workflows in Houdini.

Hopefully that helps a bit!

changing the location of the sopcreate was the first thing I tried. It sort of works, but because of what happens it led me to believe being able to see other lops wasn't intended. In my previous post I said, "Sometimes objects show, but they are bugged and when I hit reset viewport or any operation they go away". This is what I mean. The geometry looks all strange and when I reset the viewport it doesn't show leading me to believe it was just a bug it was ever showing and not intended. I added another photo so you can see it better. The cube also looks like this sometimes with dark lighting and the weird edge. This glitch only happens in a sopcreate for another object. At lop level it looks fine.
Edited by evanrudefx - Jan. 12, 2024 10:19:39

Attachments:
solar4.gif (10.6 MB)
solar5.gif (14.8 MB)

Thanks,

Evan
  • Quick Links