Karma stuck frames when VDB's have animated transforms

526   3   1
394 posts
I've been having problems in a few scenes where Karma renders with VDB's get stuck at 99% completion on arbitrary frames. There was already a thread [www.sidefx.com] about the issue (now locked) and a bug submitted but I'm trying to find a workaround meanwhile.

The issue seems to happen when VDB's have animated transforms. Some specific transform values will cause the problem, restarting the render won't fix it, but changing the transform, even by a tiny amount, might.

Anybody experienced this and found a way to fix it?

My next idea was to reset the VDB transforms and reapply them using the "Transform by SOP Points" LOP, a bit confused as its help file seems to be missing, but the name seems promising.
Staff
425 posts
Hi. Can you try daily build 20.0.582 (or newer)? It contains fixes to the bug mentioned in that thread.
394 posts
If anybody's curious, "Transform by SOP Points" didn't seem to work, it seemed to be expecting a path attribute, but with no documentation it was hard to know to what purpose. I ended up combining my transformed vdb to an empty one with no transforms and rendering that instead, no stuck frames.
394 posts
dlee
Hi. Can you try daily build 20.0.582 (or newer)? It contains fixes to the bug mentioned in that thread.

Oh thanks, I'll try to have it installed and give it a try.

Edit: Can confirm that 20.0.590 fixes the problem. Thanks!
Edited by Tanto - Jan. 19, 2024 12:43:07
  • Quick Links