Need help fixing overlapping copy to points geometry

572   2   2
1 posts
Hi everyone! I need help with a pretty specific issue I have. I have a LOPS network in which I have four different flower meshes referenced from the geometry network as alembics. These four flowers are copied to points. In the copy to points SOP (inside the LOPs network) , there is a grid linked to a scatter and a noise attribute which allows the flowers to be scattered on the points of the grid. However, due to the sizes of the flowers and the amount of points scattered on the grid, the flower meshes overlap. How can I go about avoiding them overlapping? I tried multiple things to no avail. Please help ~

Attachments:
flowers_overlap.png (1.9 MB)
flowers_overlap_lops.png (1.9 MB)

7767 posts
There's no good general solution to this, especially if you're trying to get a compact packing. If you're using Scatter, then you could try to fiddle with the settings to space them out more like by increasing Relax Iterations for example. More often than not, I think people just either manually or procedurally detect the overlaps and then just delete those points until the overlaps aren't visually distracting or until they're all gone (which might be bad because then it looks too sparse again).
171 posts
The `Scatter And Align` sop has some handy features related to removing overlaps.
I've found it easier to use at times.
It does assume that your assets are unit scale though - so you might need to either pre-scale your asset or tweak the f@pscale after scattering.

Attachments:
sVfrmWJU2I.png (39.7 KB)

• Quick Links