How to compose 2 images with depth map in COP?

478   3   1
9 posts
Hello

I have rendered 2 images in KARMA with Depth (Camera space), defined in extra render vars.
The depth is visible in COP

how can I merge these 2 images using depth values?

thx
kuszi
7771 posts
In Nuke, you can use a node to generate a deep image from a depth aov and then use a deep combine node to merge them. I don't remember the exact node names.

The result won't be very good though, so it's probably better to re-render them as deep images. Houdini COPs could be used to combine them if they are deep images.
Edited by jsmack - Feb. 19, 2024 12:14:47
8555 posts
You can also probably use Z Composite COP, or if anything else fails VOP COP2 Filter to compare depth values and pick C from input that is closer

But as jsmack said, the results may have issues, especially at the edges and semi transparent areas where depths of several objects need to be defined, due to lack of information that can be stored per pixel in regular AOVs, so deeps may be the way to go
Edited by tamte - Feb. 19, 2024 12:34:03
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
9 posts
Hello and thank you both for your guidance.

I have tried ZComp without success.

I found that DCM is very slow at render and takes a lot of disk space. Also ZComp gives me a strange semitransparent result.

So finally I used the recommended VOPCOP2. It is working.

I had to cheat a little, because the value of depth is 0 where there are no pixels, so it always returned false.

I attached the graph. I'm not saying it's the best, but it works
This graph uses the the following order: 0: Color, 1: Alpha, 2: Depth

Again, thank you very much

Kuszi
Edited by kuszi - Feb. 20, 2024 01:32:59

Attachments:
vopcop2.png (162.4 KB)

• Quick Links