Palms and fingers in muscles & tissue simulation

375   1   0
2 posts
Hey! I’m making a muscle & tissue simulation for a humanoid character. This is my personal project so I’m slowly experimenting with it. I feel it will take more time to make things right, but mostly I feel that movements and the overall look are getting close to what I want.
However, I’m having trouble with palms/fingers and wanted to ask for the usual approaches.

Contrary to other parts, with palms I try to put tissue directly on the bones. The movements feel a bit abnormal. Sometimes I can get an adequate look, but it still lacks the details and cleanness that I could achieve in other parts. I’ve tried many things, like putting the tip part of the fingers in the rigid group or limiting the shrinking substantially. It doesn’t seem to be “right”.

So, I’m curious about your experiences.
Maybe you skipped palms entirely to animate them separately/put them into the rigid group? Maybe you did find a good way to simulate it along with everything else? If so, did you use tissue directly on the bones or maybe you made an improvised muscle layer for the palms?
Would be happy to hear any experiences and ideas. Maybe I'm missing something. Thanks!
Staff
138 posts
Extremities are usually animated separately and blended back onto the final quadmesh. Tissue simulation is typically avoided in these areas by either chopping them off, or grouping them into the rigid group. The rigid group will only help with constraining the points in finicky areas, or, where sometimes bones are intentionally penetrating the outer tissue layer.

However, if you are going to simulate hands/fingers, ensure you have enough of the Core layer present in these areas, and, that there is adequate weight in the @corefalloff attribute.
The Core layer is constrained to the muscles and bones and the attachment strength is modulated by the @corefalloff point attribute. The core layer is what will "follow" your bone animation most directly. The outer tissue layer is then constrained to the core, effectively animating the tissue from the inside-out.
john mariella
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links