materialX mix node in houdini20 changes the signature

469   4   2
14 posts
Hi,
MaterialX mix node behaves differently in H20 compared to H19.5. When not-exactly-correct type is connected to "mix" then the node switches the signature to the type of this connection. This doesn't seem right as the mix should not affect the signature no matter what.

this can be fixed by changing the type:

but I do not think the mix should affect the signature at all as this is not what is being passed to the output.

the larger problem is that this breaks all hips created in H19.5 as they load broken in H20 with the mix nodes set to an incorrect type

Attachments:
h20_mix_signature.gif (428.3 KB)
image (8).png (41.1 KB)
image (9).png (103.5 KB)

2537 posts
I think you have a bad mix node. Try dropping down a new one. From your screenshot, the mix input is the wrong type.
When it's the right type, float, I don't experience any auto-adapting of the signature.

Attachments:
mtlx_mix.gif (236.2 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
4164 posts
Upstream, the MaterialX library removed those signature types in the version that H20.0 uses. IIRC, those signatures weren't actually supported/functional for all MaterialX shader targets.
I'm o.d.d.
14 posts
Enivob
I think you have a bad mix node. Try dropping down a new one. From your screenshot, the mix input is the wrong type.
When it's the right type, float, I don't experience any auto-adapting of the signature.

when the type is right it all works. I know. H19 accepted the bad type and it worked fine, however, H20 is now not accepting it and switching the node to "float" meaning all H19 shaders have to be updated to work in H20 making project migration problematic.
14 posts
goldleaf
Upstream, the MaterialX library removed those signature types in the version that H20.0 uses. IIRC, those signatures weren't actually supported/functional for all MaterialX shader targets.

the "bad" connection in H19 worked fine. I understand that that things change on the material side but in this case it is the houdini node that is changing the signature to the input that should not affect it. the mix attribute has nothing to do with the node signature and should never affect it.
  • Quick Links