Scaling Two Bone IK

738   8   3
264 posts
Hi,

What's the best approach to scale TBIK? The problem is that the scale transform is not being passed and the geometry is not scaled accordingly.
7717 posts
Could you please log a bug with your hip file? Offhand, the only workaround I can see is taking out the scales (in world space) doing the IK and then reapplying the scales again. If you're in APEX, you could try TwoBoneIKSmooth instead but I'd suspect that it would have the same issue.
235 posts
guilhermecasagrandi
Hi,

What's the best approach to scale TBIK? The problem is that the scale transform is not being passed and the geometry is not scaled accordingly.

Add the scale to the rest input of the TBIK, should work
Magnus Møller
Creative Director / Rigger @ Tumblehead
264 posts
Magnus_Mller
guilhermecasagrandi
Hi,

Yep, it worked thanks, but not the way I expected. To get the correct results I had to scale the whole skeleton to get the correct rest values.
235 posts
guilhermecasagrandi
Magnus_Mller
guilhermecasagrandi
Hi,

Yep, it worked thanks, but not the way I expected. To get the correct results I had to scale the whole skeleton to get the correct rest values.

Great! Depending on how you are scaling it you need to make sure the world positions of the rest is also set, so that's to be expected. So if you're only scaling the arm you should be able to scale the shoulder with scaleinheritance to True
Magnus Møller
11 posts
cant seem to make smoothik scale properly, but twoboneik works with scaling on the rest bones
7717 posts
Please submit your hip file demonstrating this as a bug, thanks!
11 posts
edward
Please submit your hip file demonstrating this as a bug, thanks!

the chicken rig was made with smoothik, try promoting the scale parameter of the root_ctrl,
then scale that control in the scene animate sop, you'll see what I mean. I've sent a RFE of it

often times i rig on unit scale model just to have a safe reference with distance base parameters of other sop
node, then i just reapply those at the root_ctrl to bring it back to the modeled scale.
Edited by 0chumpy - March 12, 2024 02:49:21
235 posts
could it be that the smoothing factor is a world space based? maybe that one needs to be scaled too?
I tried to use the smoothIK but gave me to many headaches so I switched back to the twoBone IK instead. Would love to see the smoothIK get some more polish
Magnus Møller
  • Quick Links