Issue with Edit Material Properties node

296   2   1
40 posts
Hi,

I am running into an issue with the "Edit Material Properties" node. I got a parent material and I want to edit it to make a child material. When I use the Edit Material Properties node it seems it does not recognize all the inputs on the shader. In this case I am using Renderman pxrSurface shader. Some inputs appear blank, even though in the parent shader I have values.

For example in this image here the "diffuseTransmitGain" should appear under "Diffuse>Advanced" tab.

Is this a Houdini issue or Pixar Renderman? I am using 19.5.640 and Renderman 25.2

As a follow up question, how are people handling parent/child material libraries in Solaris/USD?

Thanks

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-03-27 211624.png (1.4 MB)

Staff
1448 posts
This is a bug in the Edit Material Properties LOP, which is being worked on.

It has trouble with hide-when and disable-when expressions, because that LOP deals with "inputs:diffuseDoubleSided" (incoded into alpha-numeric name to avoid a colon), but the hide-when expression still uses just "diffuseDoubleSided" from the shader's HDA node.

In the parameter pane toolbar, if you click (gear) > Edit Parameter Interface, you can manually clean it up. Eg, delete the hide-when expression, and accept. Then the parameters should show up.
40 posts
I see, got it! Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense!
  • Quick Links