Particle collision avoidance during transformation (Edited)

407   3   0
10 posts
Hello! I'd like to ask for a little help with a problem that seems complicated to me, but probably only to me. There's a shape that transforms with PopNet into another shape, currently into a hemisphere shape. The issue is that I need to insert a collision object or a zone where particles cannot go, which I managed to do. However, particles remain at the edges of the shape and don't seek a path to complete the back of the shape. Is it possible to implement some code or something that anticipates future collisions with this collision and seeks an alternative path close to the edge of the collision? I tried to adapt something similar from this tutorial, but it didn't really work out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2fhtxmSD7I [www.youtube.com]
Thank you.

Edited, updated in the comment below
Edited by HoudiniAmateur - April 16, 2024 11:01:05

Attachments:
collision help.hiplc (852.9 KB)
collision (1).jpg (281.7 KB)
collision (2).png (1.4 MB)
collision (3).png (48.5 KB)
collision (4).jpg (592.0 KB)

2537 posts
Here's my interpretation of your requirements. By adding an @id attribute to your particles and your goal points, popsteerseek can track scattered moving goal points, making particles seek them. Even if they overshoot, they'll try again to find their resting location while avoiding colliders.

Attachments:
ap_collision help.hiplc (1.1 MB)
psys_goal_collider.gif (1.5 MB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
10 posts
Enivob
Here's my interpretation of your requirements. By adding an @id attribute to your particles and your goal points, popsteerseek can track scattered moving goal points, making particles seek them. Even if they overshoot, they'll try again to find their resting location while avoiding colliders.
Hi! Thank you for your help. I've tried to combine my solution with yours, but there are still some sticking particles. It's important that their size is 2 and they can collide with each other, so if they move fast enough to be effective, some spheres will fly out of the world if everything collides with everything. Also, there's a wrangle written in the popnet (I got help for it on the forum) which limits the speed of these particles because they will be physically drones that cannot approach each other within 2 meters and cannot move at any speed. I'm closer to the solution with what you sent, but it would be good to have a solution that may not even exist, which calculates the shortest path, including the tube collision, as if it were a vine that sews itself there.

Attachments:
problem.png (341.8 KB)
ap_collision help (1).hiplc (1.0 MB)

10 posts
I've made some edits to it, and I found a solution that you can also see in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT0Pr2DbZd0 [www.youtube.com]

The cylinder is rotating, which transports the spheres like this. Unfortunately, it's not the best solution because if it weren't for the cylinder, it wouldn't work smoothly like this. Is there a solution that can recognize the obstacle and avoid it? Or should there be a stronger pulling force towards the target, so strong that it adheres to the surface of the cylinder? But not in a way that it bounces off quickly, but maintains the same speed.

Attachments:
Test2.hiplc (948.8 KB)

• Quick Links