Is there Any New Zealand studio using Houdini?

23787   25   6
648 posts
circusmonkey
… Sidefx should of got in there and given away licences like softimage did ! Thats the only reason xsi got used …
uh there was a *lot* more to it than that…
last time I was there they only had h4. snuck some of it into a couple of
max projects but it was totally unsupported, discouraged, etc.
648 posts
digitallysane
I actually think Houdini leaves XSI in the dust when it comes to character animation. …

except for speed. its the usual speed vs control thing;
for standard modeling, texturing, key-framing and rendering speed wins, if that's what you're selling.

-cpb
2624 posts
uh there was a *lot* more to it than that…

Do tell……
Gone fishing
1192 posts
cpb
except for speed. its the usual speed vs control thing;
for standard modeling, texturing, key-framing and rendering speed wins, if that's what you're selling.-cpb
For keyframing and general animation I do find Houdini faster. For rendering it depends on the renderer but I do agree XSI's workflow is much faster for lighting/shading part. For modeling and texturing, speed wise, XSI is much faster.
However, when it comes to huge projects (like a feature) I think Houdini is better because of its flexibility.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
6 posts
If
http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/CompaniesUsingHoudini#New_Zealand [odforce.net] is out of date then update it, its a wiki and wikis are supposed to be edited by the public.
———————————
www.gerardkeating.com
237 posts
Another way of approaching the animation layers would be to change the way takes work and add a blending mode to the current overwrite behaviour. The benefit would be takes become a bit more powerful, the down side would be they would be used differently and need to be re thunk. if you had a animation using layers a+b+c and using render take “reflection pass” that wouldn't just work as is
Robert Kelly
  • Quick Links