No displacement bounds in geometry's render tab.

5331   6   4
36 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to adjust an object's displacement bounds and a number of threads indicate that I need merely adjust the Displacement Bounds parameter in the Geometry object's Render tab, eg. http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=3119&highlight=displacement+bounds [sidefx.com]

However, my geometry objects do not seem to have this parameter in the Render tab, they only have:

Backface Removal
Procedural Shader
Polygons as Subdivisions
Render As Points
Metaballs as Volume
Coving
Automatically Compute Normals

Is this because I'm using apprentice? Is there any other way to assign this attribute (like the DisplacementBound attr in RenderMan)?

Thanks,

Jeremy.
Staff
2540 posts
To add displace_bounds toggle to an object, RMB on the node icon and select Edit Parameter Interface…
Change the left most column in the pop-up window to For Rendering. Type displ in the filter field to pare the list down. Open up Mantra 9.0/Shading folder. Select the Displacement Bound (vm_displacebound) and press the right pointing arrow between the first and second columns.

In H9 you can also add a displace bounds field to the material. Just place a Properties SHOP inside your material and follow the same steps above. Take a look at the default Materials that have displacements to see how it is set up.
There's at least one school like the old school!
581 posts
jeff
To add displace_bounds toggle to an object, RMB on the node icon and select Edit Parameter Interface…
Change the left most column in the pop-up window to For Rendering. Type displ in the filter field to pare the list down. Open up Mantra 9.0/Shading folder. Select the Displacement Bound (vm_displacebound) and press the right pointing arrow between the first and second columns.

In H9 you can also add a displace bounds field to the material. Just place a Properties SHOP inside your material and follow the same steps above. Take a look at the default Materials that have displacements to see how it is set up.
Only to add my opinion to this, I have been using H9 for the last month in production and I feel this way of setting very common render properties in objects a little problematic.
The new rendering interface rocks for not common parameters, but for parameters like renderable, phantom, matte or displacement bounds is a pain, because you are all the time using this for example for render layers, even the light mask are out from the standard parameters, that cause the light linker to not work properly by default.
I think that to have the most common parameters like always and not hidden into the rendering interface dialog is more handly.
Thanks
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
Staff
2540 posts
Keeping this thread to just displacement bounds, the perscribed method is to embed the displacement bounds property inside your Material.
This puts the responsibility on the shader/material builder to handle this and not foist this on the artist using the Material.

As for the other properties, be very specific about each property grouping you have to promote repeatedly then start a specific thread.
There's at least one school like the old school!
36 posts
Thanks for the input folks, prompt as always.

I found the hidden displacement bounds parm, but that didn't solve the problem (black cracks). No matter, I'll just use bump for now and let you know if I need more help.

Cheers,

Jeremy.
1145 posts
do a channel reference of your displacement height into the Displacement Bound field so that that value matches your displacement value.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
648 posts
jeff
…This puts the responsibility on the shader/material builder to handle this …
shader builder? a human shader builder!?

-cpb
  • Quick Links