Some questions about environment variables

3005   2   0
519 posts
A few questions about houdini environment variables

HOUDINI_COOK_MODE_THRESHOLD does anyone use it and if so what's a good limit to set (as in percentage to your RAM)?

HOUDINI_ENABLE_LINUX_TABLET (for example) can some variables just be set by exporting them (without a value)? Or do you need to enable them by using 1, ON or TRUE?

HOUDINI_MAX_BACKUP_FILES If the max number is reached does houdini stop making backups (yikes!) or does it overwrite the oldest backup?

HOUDINI_OGL_DBL_BUFFER_FIX does anyone know which Quadro and Geforce graphic cards have problem with simultaneously writing to the buffers?

HOUDINI_X11_SYNCHRONOUS in the help is stated that this may affect performance. In what sense? In a bad way or a good way?

Sorry, quite a lot oops but thanks for answering any!

Pagefan
7731 posts
HOUDINI_COOK_MODE_THRESHOLD: The limit depends on your system. I would only set this if you're on a 32-bit OS since there's no point on a 64-bit OS. On Linux, I've seen 1800 as a good value. Use 1500 if you want to be even safer. On Windows, use lower values. Usually this value is determined by trial and error . If it's too low, then you enter into Never mode too soon. In that case, you will up the limit a bit as long as it still cooks and doesn't cause a crash.

HOUDINI_ENABLE_LINUX_TABLET: In general, I would always set a boolean environment variable to 0 or 1.

HOUDINI_MAX_BACKUP_FILES: Once the maximum is reach, it deletes the backup with the smallest numbered suffix.

HOUDINI_OGL_DBL_BUFFER_FIX: It wasn't so much the cards themselves as the drivers. They would need not need it one version and then need it again the next. However, this environment variable is now obsolete as of Houdini 9. It no longer ever writes to both buffers simultaneously.

HOUDINI_X11_SYNCHRONOUS: Enabling might cause interactivity to be slower.
519 posts
Thanks Edward.
  • Quick Links