basic question

6638   8   2
313 posts
how to show polygon count in Houdini 9?
(could not find it from properties)

thanks for the attention!
1192 posts
Middle-click on a SOP displays an info box with the number of points, primitives, their type, the bounding box etc.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
Staff
1448 posts
or you can click the (i) button next to the help (?) button in the parameter pane, which will show the same information as MMB on a node
12459 posts
brucelay
how to show polygon count in Houdini 9?
(could not find it from properties)

thanks for the attention!

Just so you know, there is no equivalent to the Maya functionality where the viewport itself can display this info for all the geometry being displayed or (multi-)selected -which is a feature quite useful especially to modelers. As described above, it can only be queried node by node.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
Staff
3455 posts
you could hack something together with a camera mask…
I don't recommend it though
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
12459 posts
I was thinking the closest thing might be a shelf tool that could pop up some totals in a displayMessage() window… a slower/poorer substitute for the viewport just making its own totals. Anyone want to write one?

However, it would be nice to have simple entity totals as a viewport HUD widget and possibly more involved totals (which might not be instantaneous to calculate) in the viewport (i) info button.

I know that with heavy models with lots of groups and attributes, the opinfo can easily take 20 seconds to query up the bboxes, etc. In the past I've RFE'd a simple entity count alternative to the complete opinfo to improve interactivity in these cases. (I wonder if that RFE got logged?)
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
Staff
3455 posts
I was thinking of npoint/nprim etc on the current display SOP…might be faster…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
696 posts
Might even be nice to have multiple columns to show stuff from the object level as well as the current context? I don't know how that would work with the tabs and pinned/unpinned stuff though.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
557 posts
What about a Scene level for the Details View? That could present a nice summary by object or something like that…

Of course, to do that, you'd also need an Object level in the Details View, which might be all you need.

Anyway, a thought.
  • Quick Links