Rendering a set of frames (not a range)

9709   8   2
12 posts
What's the best way to render a general set of frames?

I had to do some pick up renders where some random frames were bad.

I ended up doing it a frame at a time, but I know there is a better way.

What I need to figure out is how to make it only render frames that are not already in the folder.

I know this is all possible, but I haven't found anything saying exactly how to do something like that.

Thanks

kj
4140 posts
Well, there's nothing builtin to Houdini to do that for you, if that's what you're asking. I see this as an infrastructure solution - there's so many ways to implement rendering at different size shops to have only one method of rendering fixes wouldn't please everyone. We have a logging system on our grid that tracks what's been submitted over the last N hours and compares that against whether that file exists, and then checks it's integrity after that by using ‘iinfo -i’. This can take some time if you render a lot of layers, but it works nicely. We haven't implemented an auto-fix system yet but, like what was done before, it's just a matter of implementation. You could use a similar system to at least get you a list of missing/bad frames. You'll need to script that into a series of ROPs, but of course you need to have some sort of methodology worked out that ensures the right settings are there for sampling, matte layers, etc etc. As I said, all this is so specific to any given shop…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
4262 posts
Type your list of frames to render into the Frame Dependency ROP (List of Frames), then set your Mantra ROP to Any Frame.

Writing a script that detects missing/failed frames is left as an exercise for the reader.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
12 posts
The framecycler seemed to be the logical choice, but when I tried it, houdini would crash on me.

When I read the help, it seemed that it wasn't intended to be used the way I was using it.

I'll have to try it again and see if I can make that work.
696 posts
you could also link together a chain of mantra nodes, each set to re-render specific frames. simply render the last node in the chain, and it will do all the others as well.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
20 posts
Something new?

I just did 500f animation and it took 12h and when i check it, there are rendered lot of Bad cached frames from animation before adjustment, (probably bad rewriting cache or what)

Is there Pleas God a way to render specific frames? hundred of them different positions aaa iam ded

should i clean cache before rendering?
20 posts
Found interesting solution

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/16331-render-unconnected-frames-at-once/ [forums.odforce.net]

but REALLY 3dMax beats Houdini in such easy problem should be native option.
20 posts
ou it does problem to me in rendertime after 2 frames it take to render one frame 8x longer
56 posts
I would love a simple option for this as I use it all the time in other packages and find it very useful. Is there something new since this thread that's been implemented?

2,4,7,25,34,45,46,48,58,69 Render!?
  • Quick Links