Q: Correct blur in reflective object?

4490   6   2
7025 posts
Hi,

If I have a moving mirror, next to a non-moving object, when I motion blur the mirror the colour is calculated at shutter open and streaked, giving an incorrect blur of the reflected image. The camera is also not moving.

Is there any way at all to get correct blur in the mirror? In other words, the mirror object should be blurred but the image reflected in the mirror should not blur.

I thought that the new multi segment motion blur might do it, but alas, it does not seem to. I've tried Raytrace and Micro Poly modes. I have run out of ideas

I'm not overly concerned with how expensive it is, as being able to do it is more important than it being fast.

Any ideas welcome!

Cheers,

Peter B
4262 posts
All your rays are being fired from P, which is calculated at shutter open.

If you use the new vex function getblurP(float t) you should get the motion blurred value of P. (I haven't tested this but I think it should work.)

Also this appears to work for me when using just normal raytracing mode, (ignoring the getblurP() bit)
Edited by - Nov. 15, 2007 10:36:27
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
696 posts
composite?
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
4262 posts
Allegro
composite?

Quiet you with your easy simply solutions!
4262 posts
pbowmar
I thought that the new multi segment motion blur might do it, but alas, it does not seem to. I've tried Raytrace and Micro Poly modes. I have run out of ideas

Attachments:
test.hip (651.1 KB)
micro.jpg (9.8 KB)
raytrace.jpg (9.5 KB)

7025 posts
Ah, excellent. I almost got it on my own even! There is a magic combo though. I want to leave the ROP's rendering settings alone (i.e. might be micro poly) so I turned on Raytrace Shading on the mirror. Sadly, this turned off motion blur. However, when I turned on Raytraced Motion Blur too, voila!

Go Mantra!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Never give up, never surrender!

Cheers,

Peter B
4262 posts
pbowmar
Never give up, never surrender!

• Quick Links