stupid bones display problem

7368   17   1
82 posts
Hi,
When I hit enter to finish drawing my bones they disappear…Any idea?
They exist because I can grab them in the network view, I can tweak them with the specific handle or the bone tool ( the little empty square appears )…Maybe Ihave miss something obvious in the display options?

any help welcome. I am on XP with a 8800 gtx.

Tky.
Edited by - Nov. 18, 2007 05:15:36
1145 posts
RMB on the node that represents the bone and click on “Toggle Display”, see if the bone appears.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
82 posts
:cry: tks but it doesnt work..I have already try to toggle the display flag for the nodes.

Th weird thing is that when I enter the node there's nothing at the sub object level :roll:
2199 posts
What version are you using?
If you put down a single bonelink node in the network editor, not via the shelf tool, does that show up?
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
82 posts
I have just try…but nothing ( on build 777 and 782 ). Strange because it was working nicely a few days ago. I have change the UI color sheme since but it looks like it is not not related.
Is there different flags for the creation of bones ( just the transform but no “shape” node)… maybe? But I havn't touch that anyway ( I am just starting to learn houdini)…
tky
2199 posts
When you go inside the node there is no geometry, right?
Maybe its a python thing. Have you done anything involving installing or removing python since it last worked?
82 posts
Yep there's no geo…I think I have installed python…I am starting to learn python too.
Maybe its that…there's a path for python25 in the PATH env variable, do you think its a problem?
2199 posts
I don't know, but there shouldn't be no geometry. There should be a bonelink, which was why I was asking if putting one down manually worked.

If you create bones via the shelf tool python is run so I was thinking maybe something was going wrong there.

Are other tools working fine?

Can you list the exact steps you are using, ie are you using the shelf?
82 posts
Arf, actually I havn't tried to create a bonelink ( sub object level!) I have created a bone at the object level…It works when I create a bonelink ( I am not aware about the houdini nodes names…) at the subobject level, I get a bone*link* in the viewport.
I can't get any bonelink when I call the bones tool with the shelf or with the tab menu ( scene view ) or in the network view…
The weird thing is that I can seethe bonelinks when I draw them but when I “finish drawing” ( enter or right mouse menu ) they disappear ( maybe a scirpt is called at this moment…).
4262 posts
Try right clicking on a bone in the network editor and pick “Toggle Display: Xray”. This should turn off the bone's xray flag. I wonder if the missing bones is due to a graphics driver problem not displaying XRay objects correctly.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
82 posts
Ok…I have found the problem… :roll: I have redefined the HOUDINI_SCRIPT_PATH with a new path for my own scripts ( BTW its not working for me, I have to use the $HOUDINI_PATH..this is not really nice because I must put my scripts at the root of the houdini9.0 dir…)…
BTW I am currently using the shelf to call my scripts,old maya habit ops:
Tks for your help guys.
2199 posts
try putting your scripts in your $HOME directory, in the equilavent relative directory as your houdini one.
82 posts
I have try to put my scripts in my $HOME directory but it doesn't work. Not sure if I understand you about the equivalent relative directory, can you give us an example?
2199 posts
Sure, if your existing scripts are in the houdini install dirsctory scripts
eg
C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 9.0.653\houdini\scripts

then move them to

$HOME\Houdini9\scripts
82 posts
Ok Simon, they are already in this folder which is one of the $HOUDINI_PATH. I should have been more precise. I wanted to add a folder in the $HOME/houdini9.0 path. Not possible to append to the $HOUDINI_PATH or better the $HOUDINI_SCRIPT_PATH?

tky anyway, no big deal.
2199 posts
You can append to the houdini path, I forget how though.
You can also set up a HSITE environment variable, check in the help.
82 posts
Tks man and back to python…
12477 posts
Hey there,

What you might not know that the HOUDINI_PATH and the HOUDINI_SCRIPT_PATH are both paths which take multiple (semi-)colon-seperated paths. So you can merely extend the locations Houdini looks for stuff, instead of replacing it altogether.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
  • Quick Links