Bad news (for me)

6640   8   2
19 posts
Hallo to you all. Some days ago I bought the HD version of Apprentice. I thought that the license was good for the whole version 9 until 10. Yesterday I discovered, in a SideFX mail, that the license is only for 9.0 (until 9.1) version. I think that it isn't a good thing for person like me that use the program only for hobby and learning. I ask to extend the license for the whole 9 version and to upgrade with a little cost only to version 10 and so on.
What do you think about this?
Bye.
Achille
1192 posts
achillepr
I ask to extend the license for the whole 9 version and to upgrade with a little cost only to version 10 and so on.
What do you think about this?
Bye.
Achille
Out of curiosity, what would you describe as “little cost only?”

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
19 posts
Sorry for my english.
I intend free of charge the upgrades while the program is at version 9 until it become 10 or 9.5, i.e. major updates, when we can pay a sum less than the first time we buy the program (99 $). For example 50$.
My was only an idea, naturally SideFX will follow its commercial way.
Bye.
Achille
1192 posts
achillepr
Sorry for my english.
I apologize if my post seemed to question your English, I was in no way meaning that.
I think that it's very reasonable to expect incremental upgrades as free, but to be honest I think that $99 for each major version would be very fair (basically having to acquire a new license).

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
Staff
1182 posts
achillepr
I thought that the license was good for the whole version 9 until 10. Yesterday I discovered, in a SideFX mail, that the license is only for 9.0 (until 9.1) version. I think that it isn't a good thing for person like me that use the program only for hobby and learning.

It is true that a new license will be needed to work with 9.1 when it is released. It has always been our plan to make these 9.1 licenses available to Apprentice HD customers for FREE and you can read about this further when we formally announce such an update.

In the future, there will be upgrade fees for Apprentice HD customers at major releases. Which releases require upgrade fees will be determined when the versions are announced. We have released .2 or .5 releases in the past that include more than enough functionality to justify an upgrade fee.

One thing to note is that your current license does not expire when another version comes out. It will be your option to continue using the version you have paid for without upgrading if you don't need the new functionality.

For our commercial customers, all dot releases require new licenses therefore an Annual Upgrade Plan is highly recommended to make sure that all software is up-to-date.

Robert
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
19 posts
Thank you, you're great.
Not so much software houses answer to their customers like you do.
Bye.
Achille
1 posts
Was watching the thread.
Nice upgrade fee policy, thanks to the management for reply.
66 posts
I bought HD. Can i still buy a upgrade plan? I did not see it for HD at the time of check out. I just saw the 2,000 + plans O_O
483 posts
There is no AUP (Annual Upgrade Plan) for Houdini Apprentice HD, so you're OK.
  • Quick Links