Anyone buy Houdini: 101 Interface and workflow?

35061   54   2
320 posts
Do you have the finished file for this lesson? It's called HERO1_v07.1.hip

He doesn't supply the same images of the woman's face that he uses in the lesson, but he does provide a subnet with animated text to illustrate this procedure. I followed and found it to work exactly the same.

The file naming he uses in the File COP is $HIP/textures/Ch07_textures.`padzero(4,$F+5)`.pic

Also, in order for Alt+E to open the expression editor you must have your cursor in a text field.
www.alan-warren.com
66 posts
^ Is there any way i can pay you for a little phone support I am in TX. I am really new and having an ass load of problems. I did find the file but I am still having problems that i can't really put into words.
66 posts
I get all the way up to Time code

00:17:00 and he is like were is my image path his is pic(“/img/img1/pic_out”, $BBX, $BBY, D_CR)

but I have no idea were my image path is. I know for a fact that is not the FULL PATH. I use that path and get blue lines nothing shows in the lines.
519 posts
You could post you .hip file and we could debug it for you if you wish Better then getting wasted on Champagne or enjoying the dynamic fire explosions of firecrackers tonight…
1145 posts
Take a look at this simplified example and read the notes I've put in the null sop
“explanation”. This should help you understand how data is moved throughout houdini.
This file is also organized to suit H9 better.

Attachments:
butterfly_on_lines.hip (106.8 KB)

“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
66 posts
~ when you download your file it won't save to the desktop it just opens. Its just odd.

I double click your “explanation” but nothing pops up?

Everyone is using this .PIC format. Do you have to use that .PIC format??? I am not sure how you integrated your pic into the .hip file but i can't do that because I don't know how so I will post the pic and my .hip file.

Odd. After looking at your file and your path I found mine.

My file was this

img/import_img/pic_out

so the whole line would read this if your going by my file

pic(“/img/import_img/pic_out”,$BBX,$BBY,D_CR)

I did change the CR to CB and CG respectfully when it called for it.

I can't seem to change my backgroud color but I can see the image alittle. I have never been this deep into it. Kind of cool kind of.

The only thing left is how he got his lines to be wavy on the cover art and the blue tent.

Anyways this is what i got so far. I placed the image on the desktop.

Attachments:
As far as I have EVER been.zip (50.2 KB)

1145 posts
Just MMB on the explanation node, the comments are embedded in the node. If you want get to the editing interface for the comments the RMB on the node and from the resulting menu choose “Edit Comment”.

To change the background to black, move you mouse to the viewport and hit the “d” key. Then in the Display menu go to the Background folder and at the top-right choose the Dark colour scheme.

A small tip to help us, don't put spaces in your file names, use underscores instead. For us Linux users the blank spaces are a nuisance.

I would highly recommend that you go through all the video lessons in the Learning/Tutorials section of the website. Start with those on the second page, they are the ones posted earliest and the more basic, but all of the tutorials are for new users. Keep watch there since we post new videos quite regularly.
1145 posts
As for create width for the lines, I'm not sure how Garman is doing it in the video, I haven't watched it.
The simplest way would be to pipe an AttributeCreate sop below the Point sop in the hip file I sent you.
In the parameters change the Name to “width” and in the first Value field put $CR. Make sure the render and display flag are set on the last node, the AttributeCreate and render.
This is a render effect so you won't see anything in the viewport. The lines will change width based on the red colour value.
66 posts
This is as close as i have gotten. I can't get my wavy lines. I talked to Acky and he says its a render out only but for some reason I can't get it to work. I ctrl the node but my renders are still the same. See file

Attachments:
close_but_not_right.picnc (872.0 KB)

1145 posts
Make sure you render flag is set on the correct node, likely the last one in the chain. The render flag is indicated by the purple circle.
66 posts
post a pic? I am not sure what your talking about.

Attachments:
Picture.JPG (158.8 KB)

66 posts
can anyone tell me how to get the wavy lines like in the cover please? I swear its the last question.
320 posts
Garman uses a Point SOP to add the waves to the lines.

Specifically he uses this expression on the X & Y point position.

$TX + noise((($TX+0)*$my_noise_freq)+$T*$my_noise_speed,$TY,$TZ) * $my_noise_amp

For TY you just replace everywhere you see $TX with $TY. The other variables are custom variables that he used to keep the whole project procedural incase you wanted to go back and increase / decrease the number of lines or the amount of points in each line, etc. He does go over this on the DVD.

Also, just to note I got the expression above from the yellow color coded SOPS in the “cover_art1” subnet in the HERO1_v10.1.hip file included on the DVD.

Cheers
www.alan-warren.com
66 posts
I have that dvd and I am watching it over and over again I do not understand. I need more detail. Like what to change to add or take away the wavey lines. There was a .Hip file posted on the first page that has a butterfly in it. Could you add that expression into that file so i can see how its done? I don't know how to apply that to my file and make it work thats why i ask. The dvd he say bah bah bah I DID THIS EARLIER ON but does not say anything on how to apply it to your image. Can you see were i am having problems? some say its a render only see now you say its an expression but even so what #'s would i change to make it wavyer or less wavyer. The .hip above is were i am at…still I know your mad and so am I this is 3 damn nodes that it. I STILL can't get it.
320 posts
I added the expression above to the Point SOP.

middle click the Point SOP for help.

Attachments:
butterfly_on_lines_171.hipnc (99.2 KB)

www.alan-warren.com
66 posts
I see what you did. I changed all the numbers on the variables amp/speed/noise and the lines don't really change the higher up i go. Do you have any tips as far as what #'s to use?
66 posts
My #'s must be off I can't seem to get the wavy lines its odd.

Attachments:
pic3.JPG (149.1 KB)

66 posts
^^ He has 3 point noise nodes and 2 of them are right afer the copy node. what the flip? I think thats why i can't get wavy lines useing one but i don't know
66 posts
When i cut and pasted those exp into my project my pic goes blank any idea?
66 posts
Come on H masters. It would take you 5 mins to do this effect yet after weeks I can't get it. Someone tell me how I can get those wavy lines like on the cover. It seems like alot of people have the DVD. It seems like he has 3 noise nodes going on and I don't know what #'s to key in plus my image just turns black so meh.
  • Quick Links