Return licenses

20521   10   3
19 posts
What does this mean?
“Houdini 9.1.140: It is now possible to return the Master-NonCommercial and Render-NonCommercial licenses given to Houdini Apprentice HD customers. To successfully return these licenses, you need to install new versions of the licensing tools (sesinetd and hkey). ” read on Houdini Journal. I don't understand english very well.
Bye
Achille
4140 posts
Install the new 9.1 license server, then you can upgrade your license to 9.1 using hkey.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
483 posts
Actually, this is talking about the ability to right-click on licenses in the Houdini License Administrator and return them (e.g., when you're switching computers or reinstalling your operating system). Prior to 9.1.140, this wasn't possible with the Master-NonCommercial and Render-NonCommercial licenses that are required to run Houdini Apprentice HD.
45 posts
Joe
Actually, this is talking about the ability to right-click on licenses in the Houdini License Administrator and return them (e.g., when you're switching computers or reinstalling your operating system). Prior to 9.1.140, this wasn't possible with the Master-NonCommercial and Render-NonCommercial licenses that are required to run Houdini Apprentice HD.

Unlike the first poster, English is my native language and I still don't understand what you just said! Plain English, please!
483 posts
First of all, this is all predicated on you wanting to switch which computer you have Houdini installed on (or if you want to reformat/reinstall your operating system). If you don't need to do that, returning licenses doesn't matter to you.

To switch which computer you have your licenses installed on, you have to “return” them to the Side Effects Software license server. (You can only do this a limited number of times, usually 3.) When you return them, you create what's called an “entitlement” on our license server. When you use the Houdini License Administrator to install licenses from the license server, you are “redeeming” entitlements.

So, to switch which computer your licenses are installed on, you first use the Houdini License Administrator to return your licenses (by right-clicking on the license, selecting Return License, and logging in using your username and password), then do whatever changes you need to do (for example, reformatting your computer, or setting up your new computer). Then, after you install Houdini again, you can redeem those licenses using File > Install Licenses in the Houdini License Administrator.

Before 9.1.140, it wasn't possible to do this with all the licenses you get when you buy Houdini Apprentice HD. With a build >= 9.1.140, it is.

I hope this clears things up!
45 posts
Joe
First of all, this is all predicated on you wanting to switch which computer you have Houdini installed on (or if you want to reformat/reinstall your operating system). If you don't need to do that, returning licenses doesn't matter to you.

To switch which computer you have your licenses installed on, you have to “return” them to the Side Effects Software license server. (You can only do this a limited number of times, usually 3.) When you return them, you create what's called an “entitlement” on our license server. When you use the Houdini License Administrator to install licenses from the license server, you are “redeeming” entitlements.

So, to switch which computer your licenses are installed on, you first use the Houdini License Administrator to return your licenses (by right-clicking on the license, selecting Return License, and logging in using your username and password), then do whatever changes you need to do (for example, reformatting your computer, or setting up your new computer). Then, after you install Houdini again, you can redeem those licenses using File > Install Licenses in the Houdini License Administrator.

Before 9.1.140, it wasn't possible to do this with all the licenses you get when you buy Houdini Apprentice HD. With a build >= 9.1.140, it is.

I hope this clears things up!

Much better, thanks Joe D! :-)
119 posts
Oh man…

So when I had to reformat my last machine and I returnened the HD license but not the other two I'll now not be able to get those licenses?
483 posts
No, we won't leave you out in the lurch like that. Just email support@sidefx.com to get your other licenses given to you manually.
119 posts
ok, I should've guessed that.
Staff
1448 posts
also, if you just reformatted the machine (without adding much of new hardware), you should be able to log in to license.sidefx.com to view the two licenses you did not return. Just click on the link in the first column for the each of the two licenses.

Then you can use these license keys to enter them manually in your License Administrator (under File in the main menu). This will reinstall the old licenses and they should work just fine (on the same machine).

Returning licenses is used mainly when you want to move you Houdini licenses from one machine to another, but generally should not be necessary when you stay on the same machine.
119 posts
Nice, it's the same machine as far as most parts of it are concerned, but I wanted to clear it out and start fresh so-to-speak.

This is good news.
  • Quick Links