RFE: Offscreen flipbooking

5359   8   3
398 posts
…but probably it was RFEd one million years ago
f = conserve . diffuse . advect . add

fx td @ the mill
7025 posts
You can use 8.2 and do this via the OpenGL ROP but you don't get the viewport decorations etc.

Very high on the “needed back in 10” list

Cheers,

Peter B
665 posts
VERY, VERY, Very high on the “needed back in 10” list… (no smiley face, I'm being serious) :x
696 posts
This works for me as long as you don't click the minimize button on Houdini.

If you minimize Houdini, you get black renders. If you simply open another window over Houdini, it should work fine.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
7025 posts
Hmm, what version are you using? If I have Firefox over the viewport, I get Firefox in my flipbook

You can't use this on the farm, or really keep working. It's great for fast flips of characters, but very limiting for slower things

cheers,

peter B
696 posts
It has worked like this for me since the 9.0 alpha, it works like this for me in 9.1.156 as well.

I'm on a Quad with Win x64, and the 32 bit xp windows machine beside me also has this behaviour. Maybe it doesn't work on linux?

I agree that OpenGL ROP would be good for being able to do this on the farm. There are a couple of RFE's for this at the moment.
Edited by - Feb. 19, 2008 11:59:56
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
7025 posts
Could be a Windows/Linux thing for sure… Regardless, there needs to a proper ROP

Cheers,

Peter B
12472 posts
Without a doubt this is sorely needed…

The only way we all agreed we could retire the old OpenGL/Scene ROPs was to able to replace it with flipbooking under the understanding that flipbooking would both have a ROP (something we've put together here temporarily utilizing the viewwrtie command), and also be able to render to off-screen buffers.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
581 posts
jason_iversen
Without a doubt this is sorely needed…
The only way we all agreed we could retire the old OpenGL/Scene ROPs was to able to replace it with flipbooking under the understanding that flipbooking would both have a ROP (something we've put together here temporarily utilizing the viewwrtie command), and also be able to render to off-screen buffers.
I don't find a way to eliminate this from H9, Houdini needs an opengl renderer, even nmore when now you can have opengl shaders. This will be veryuseful not only for offline flippboks to make fast effects like sprites directly rendered from opengl, or to make fast animatics for clients, etc …
Very useful.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
  • Quick Links