i3dgen 2gb limit?

4612   6   0
606 posts
Hullo,

I'm creating volumes from image data, and from the looks of it i3dgen can't create volumes larger that 2gb. (size on disk)

Is this a known limitation?

9.1.218 xp64

Maybe >2gig volumes are a bad idea anyway - but ram is cheap these days and inquiring minds want to play..

Btw, is there a real benefit in splitting something up into several volumes, or does the tiled block format handle things efficiently enough anyway?

eetu.
7717 posts
I don't see why not. Do you have a simple test case? What resolution did you try?
606 posts
First I made 256^3 and 512^3 volumes and they worked fine. When i tried to step up to a 1024 volume, i3dgen errored out after a while (“can't create attribute: density” or something like that). It left behind a 2gb .i3d

After that, i tried stepping down to 800, 720 and then 640 - always the same error and a 2gb file. Then 512 again worked fine and resulted in a working 1.9gb file. I'm writing r g and b as well as density.

My source data is rather large, but I'll whip up a procedural example hip.

eetu.
7717 posts
No need. I seem to be able to reproduce now.
7717 posts
UPDATE: I've tracked it down to bugs to Visual Studio 2005's C++ library when seeking, Linux works fine. I don't think it's going to be easy to workaround unfortunately. I'd recommend using Linux if you need files larger than 2 GB.
606 posts
Thank you for the prompt investigation!
Much appreciated, not something that many other vendors would do.

Seems like it's just one more reason to switch to linux..

eetu.
606 posts
I saw this in the journal.
Houdini 10.0.424: Fixed the MDD SOP so that it can handle reading .mdd files with sizes in the 2-4 GB range. However, it still does not handle file sizes greater than 4 GB.

Are these problems related? Could the fix be used for i3dgen.exe, too?

eetu.
  • Quick Links