Surfacing and texturing help?

21608   27   2
28 posts
hmm,
i inserted a invert node after the alpha output from the texture. Notihing changes. If that would have been the problem (swapped black and white) the trees should have been transparent. so the error would be easy to locate … but everything is opaque. -/
112 posts
I just set up a very simple test…created a black and green image in PS.

Added into a simple network, multiplying as you have done. Rendered it on a grid and checked my alpha channel…working!

Attachments:
Alpha.jpg (94.3 KB)
nodes.jpg (34.9 KB)

112 posts
just to confirm…

Attachments:
confirm.jpg (101.3 KB)

320 posts
stevecullum
So I gave that a new try in the morning. I took my photoshopfile, and added an explicit alpha channel where the tree area is finaly black, and the transparent area above is white.

I might be wrong here (blind leading the blind!?), but if the area above your trees is white, then you are multiplying white when you should be multiplying the blacks.

What I was thinking as well. Black areas are transparent, so your trees should be white.

Try a negate node, or modify your image again.
www.alan-warren.com
527 posts
I feel strongly that the workflow of the vex editor needs to be complimented by a toolbox that can be used for the common day in/day out tasks of shading.

The reality is that vex is already opened up so if you want absolute control it is there. So making tools that let you rapidly create useful networks does not harm the “houdini way” because at any point, one could just stop and say “wait I want to multiply that output and convert it to a float instead.”

This will probably turn flames on… but coming from a lw and maya background there are some very intuitive ideas out there on how to approach generic day to day shading. In maya I just create a texture and it asks me if I am projecting or using uv's then it proceeds to create everything I need. If I have the desire, it is possible to rewire the nodes dropped.

In addition this would also promote learning of vex as you get to see how vex works. Creating a 3d noise being used for a texture would be an instant “Ah I get” instead of the usual cross reference research involved to figure out how to do a simple task. From there creativity just takes over with rewiring and dropping other nodes to supplement.
soho vfx
112 posts
I totally agree. Lightwave node shader is fast and a nice place to be when trying to create the look your after. No need to worry about all the low level stuff, like positions and vectors etc.. its just ‘plug an play!’

The good thing about Houdini is that you can get access via VEX to the node construction, so you can still create what you want at a lower level if needed. If there was some kind of interface between you and vex, that could handle all the TD stuff, then the job of surfacing is more ‘artistic’ creation, than technical endeavour.
527 posts
I think the big thing is that with shading there are 2 main types of work. The predictable repetitive plugging in elements like textures, noise, ramps, projections etc…. Then there is the custom shading solution for special circumstances.

The thing is that 80% of the shading being done on surfaces is not a big deal its just the same old solutions with maybe something being added here or blended there to save some comp work or get a different look.

Further more there aren't that many shading workflows to be accounted for. Image based textures either being applied from uv's, projections, or reflections all with transforms. Procedural textures being a volume slice or a 2d uv tile all with transforms. Ramps with relationships to a few variables such as incident angle to light, camera, normal or object. From there its just blending/layering, shader/lighting models and some ability manage ray tracing.

The way I see it is that if sidefx is going to make a shelf tool to create a box then there is no reason not to have shelf tools for creating shading networks based on concepts which really haven't changed all that much for ages and are used everyday.
soho vfx
320 posts
There's no reason why you can't create custom VOP nodes and digital assets for all of your repetitive shading tasks.

I do think it would be nice to have more production ready examples included in the software though. Perhaps we'll see some new stuff this week. I'm certainly excited to see
www.alan-warren.com
  • Quick Links